Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack Left Handed? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jack Left Handed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Saucy Adam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently was reading an archive where it was mentioned that Jack the Ripper is usually considered to be left handed. I've never heard this and so I'm wondering if that is the general consensus....and if so based on what evidence?

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saucy,

Based on Dr Llewellyn's statement, extract of which reads...

..."There were several incisions running across the abdomen. There were three or four similar cuts running downwards, on the right side, all of which had been caused by a knife which had been used violently and downwards. the injuries were from left to right and might have been done by a left handed person. All the injuries had been caused by the same instrument."

Others Doctors who examined other victims disagree. In Llewellyns defence he did use the word 'MIGHT'.

Monty
:-)

Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Saucy Adam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Thanks a lot! Very interesting to know where the idea of Jack's lefthandedness (which I'm sure isn't a real word) came from, as well as other docs not agreeing with this. Which victim was this by the way? What I now tend to wonder (partly because I'm a lefty) is that this is based on the direction of the abdominal cuts. If I'm holding the knife in my left hand, my stronger hand, I would slash toward me across the body for leverage. Now this is going to depend on which side of the victim I am on. If I'm on the victim's right side I would naturally cut across from left to right, and if on the victim's left side I'd go from right to left on the victim. Ok sorry for rambling.

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saucy,

Yeah sorry, should have mentioned the victims name. It was Polly Nichols.

Not many realise how tight the spots were, physically, for the killer to commit his mutilation. Nichols left side was almost flush to the stable gates, as was Chapmans against the fence and Eddowes left side was near a wall. To me this indicates that he was 'comfortable' on being his victims right shoulder but obviously he may have moved around a bit.

Kelly interests me because it seems as if her bed was moved. Now was this he killer trying to get on his 'comfortable side' or was it the photographer getting a better angle?

I just dont know.

Monty
:-)

PS Dont apologise for rambling. What you say is interesting....besides, as you can tell, I go on a bit. Not as much as Andersson though !!
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.