Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Exhume The Graves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Exhume The Graves « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 22, 2004Ronald James Russo J25 3-22-04  8:36 am
Archive through March 24, 2004Vincent25 3-24-04  9:55 am
Archive through March 27, 2004Andrew Spallek25 3-27-04  12:47 am
Archive through December 19, 2004Adam Went50 12-19-04  6:35 am
Archive through December 29, 2004Suzi Hanney50 12-29-04  7:25 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi, Andy,

I don't know if that's it Suzi. i am not sure what I am saying!

Jenni
"I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ah"

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi and Jenni,

I think perhaps we feel differently about the Torso because there might still be a chance of identifying it. Conceivably, if we knew what to compare it to (that's a big "if"), we could compare its DNA against possible living relatives.

The Torso was buried in a sealed container and an attempt was made to preserve it in "spirits." I'm sure the preservation wasn't expected to last for 100+ years, but it may just have been "pickled" well enough to survive.

Here's the rub, though. It was buried in a common grave and an employee of the cemetery tells me the grave has been re-used many times. She said she could show me the approximate location. I asked what happened when a grave was re-used and she said that the new bodies were just piled on top of the old ones with fill added, if necessary. Therefore, if the Torso was buried six feet under, it must be well over ten feet down by now with other remains on top of it.

Could ground scarring radar/ground sonar detect this unusally-shaped container at that depth? I think probably not, though I really know nothing about such equipment. If this were an archeological dig we could shave off five feet or so of the surrounding area with an excavator and then scan. But that would not be practical in a cemetery.

If we could somehow pinpoint the exact location of this container and dig straight down to it, I would say it might be worthwhile even if a few other remains were "disturbed." Clearly, disturbing an entire area is not justified, however.

Andy S.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 4:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,
I think maybe we do. But somewhere in the back of my mind the words Pinchin St Torso and identified are already connected. geez, my memory is bad.

heres a thought Andy from what you say. Would you have to disturb the graves of others if they are burried on top.

Its interesting stuff,
thanks again Andy

Jenni

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I'm not sure what you are asking. I suppose you would.

Andy S.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am asking to get to the victim in question others are burriedon top who would have to be disturbed. raising more ethical nightmares!

Jenni

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew - I would equally oppose exhuming the "torso".

You seem uniformed about current archaeological methods. there is, these days, HUGE reluctance to disturb a site unless wider considerations compel invasive work (ie rescue archaeology).

I doubt that neither law nor public opinion in the UK would support exhumation - "on the off-chance2 something might be found.

Phil

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trends in the UK are apparently different from those in the US. Though, of course, it is the UK practice that governs the present situation.

Still, the authorities went to great lengths to preseve the torso, presumably so that it might be exhumed one day -- though preferably in the nearer future than 125 years!

Andy S.

(Message edited by aspallek on January 05, 2005)

(Message edited by aspallek on January 05, 2005)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a different scenario people might like to follow to see what happens on the legal front. Unlike the search for Ripper DNA, here there's a specific historical goal, in that they're trying to determine identity by comparing possible DNA samples with known contemporary relatives--that's dependent on radar testing of burial sites. At least one of the relatives is inside a church and not exposed to the elements.

Sounds like a long shot to me but I wonder how the authorities in Suffolk will react to an exhumation request--in this case, they're dealing with an important figure from colonial history (whom I've never heard of). Personally, I think we're exhumation-crazy in the U.S. I can't remember if it was Billy the Kid, Jesse James, or maybe it was for determining who crewed the Hunley, but for one television program they were digging up people who might only have possibly been related to the person in question--they didn't even know for sure.

I myself have been woken from a sound sleep by Discovery Channel scientists looking for tooth DNA.

Cheers,
Dave

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I think that was Jesse James -- I believe they tried to find his real grave and compared DNA with a now living relative's.
I saw that show, if it was the same one.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't they also recently dig up some President to see if he had been poisoned?
Mags

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I believe that was James K. Polk, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, he wasn't.

DNA would not be the target of a JtR victim exhumation (except perhaps the Torso). It would be rather more mundane evidence.

Andy S.

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dave! Ive seen 2 programs looking for DNA from old west outlaws.Jesse James was one and Harry Longabaugh (aka the Sundance Kid) was the other. Friends of Sundance said he died in the northwest in the '30's or 40's I think.Anyway none of the DNA found in the graves in Bolivia matched.If you remember Sundance later became Jerimiah Johnson who some say still lives in the mountains. Or maybe ive seen too many Redford movies.
Best wishes..Brad

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,

If anyone's interested in the Captain Benjamin Gosnold case I referenced above, they've just exhumed remains in Suffolk and hopefully will extract DNA that will allow identification on the set of remains believed to be that of Captain Benjamin Gosnold, a founder of Jamestown.

A rare exhumation: ""The application succeeded where others have failed because the reason and methodology of the project was well thought through."

Cheers,
Dave
I think that was President Zachary Taylor who was exhumed to decide whether he was poisoned or died from eating milk and cherries. I think they found out it was the milk and cherries that did him in.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I remember this discussion well, perhaps now they have found 'JTR's' knife...

well you can guess the rest!
"All you need is positivity"

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 802
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Concerning legal issues regarding the exhumation of human remains:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/making_history/making_history_20041109.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/making_history/makhist10_prog4d.shtml

Noting definitive, but it seems that the objection of descendants is the main concern in such cases. Since none of the victims are buried in disused cemeteries, we would be dealing with Church canon law here.

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.