Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper unmasked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Ripper unmasked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I expect someone else may post this as well,but I'll do so just in case other UK board readers missed it.
I read on Teletext this morning a chap called Trevor Marriott who apparently is a murder squad detective ,plans to deliver a lecture today at Ulster university on JTR,he has supposedly used modern investigating techniques and what I thought alluded to DNA testing,in his investigation, although when I went back to the TV to check the thread had gone.However it did catargorically state he would unmask the identity of Jack!
I'll add if I see any more, or I'm sure it will be covered by other media.

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See these articles for more info:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3544233.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1165119,00.html

Summary: He didn't unmask the Ripper or even offer his own suspect, just disputed many others. He also thinks Stride and Eddowes weren't by the same man (being reported as claiming there was more than one Ripper, which may or may not be his intent) and that there may have been a police coverup.

Would have been interesting to see the presentation, but it doesn't sound revolutionary or anything from the reports.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

Thanks for these URLs. I have also heard from a contact in the U.K. that there is an article in today's Daily Mail about this matter.

I have to wonder where Mr. Marriott got some of his information. The BBC site states: "Former murder squad detective Trevor Marriott pointed to the 'double event murders' - where both victims were found within 12 minutes of each other."

In fact, Diemschutz discovered Stride's body in Dutfield's Yard at 1:00 am on the morning of 30 September while Catherine Eddowes was found by P.C. Edward Watkins at 1:45 am in Mitre Square, sufficient time for a man on foot to get between the two locations.

It also seems Marriott is relying on the conspiracy theory of events to explain missing files and why the murders were not solved. It is interesting that another former policeman, Stewart Evans, does not hold to such a conspiracy theory even if the true facts of the missing files is not known.

Despite not having a book on the case, Mr. Marriott is already signed up with a California based speaker's bureau World Class Speakers & Entertainers.

Best regards

Chris

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I’m assuming that Marriot is a former Metropolitan officer, so would be privy to information concerning the case not available to other retired officers from other forces.
Having been reliably informed about a year ago that two former Metropolitan officers were investigating the crimes of Jack the Ripper with a view to publishing books, and that they did indeed have access to information as yet not released into the public domain, and that this information did concern the circumstances of both Superintendent Charles Henry Cutbush and his nephew, Thomas Hayne Cutbush… I do wonder whether this might be one of the chaps?
There has been a long history in this subject of former police officers gaining access to hitherto restricted information, so I see no reason to doubt that this is once again taking place.
One hopes with positive result for all.

Chris Phillips
Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've ended up with two threads discussing Marriott's presentation. Sorry - this is probably my fault, as I didn't notice this thread before starting my own:
http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4920/10064.html

The Guardian report says Mr Marriott was a detective constable with the Bedfordshire police.

Chris Phillips

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.