Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Merry Christmas Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Merry Christmas « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4297
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am still trying to cope with the fact that no one seems to celebrate Christmas Eve at all here in England - it felt just like an ordinary Saturday! (in Sweden that is the biggest and most magical day of the year that everyone, except those who hates Christmas, looks forward to the whole year).
So I must admit I find it hard to get into the Christmas spirit this year, but I guess that goes with the territory when you're in a new country.

In any case, a continuing wonderful holiday to all of you here on Casebook! Merry Christmas!

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian
-----
"It's a BEAUTIFUL day - watch some bastard SPOIL IT."
Sign inside the Griffin Inn in Bath

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn!!!!!!! I DID celebrate Christmas eve ....thats why its hard work cooking here today!!!!!! BEST from me and Dids!

Suzi x

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Merry Christmas!

Wait until tomorrow. That's the biggest and most magical day that everyone in England celebrates. Lots of football matches and turkey sandwiches

Do hope you're having a fun day today anyway,

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
as a German I feel exactly like you:
Christmas eve is the "day" of children with sparkling eyes and all the magic!

Christian

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 622
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian,

That was sweet, Hon.

(The English are so unromantic!)

Love,

Lyn
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One minute left..Merry Christmas everyone!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo up and about!!!!!!

Mind you did have to have a 'little lie down' at 8.20 pm Christmas Day that lasted all night!!!!

Oh well here we go again!!!

Cheers chaps!!

Suzi

Nicholas Smith
Inspector
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Everyone,

Ok, what was the best pressie you all got. For me (apart from all the hugs) it would either be the cute little bunny which I've called 'Snuggles' or all the pens you guys have sent me, or the Diary mum bought me or a book called 'Everything You Didn't Know About England'.

There was one very special one but I can't tell you about it here, so have a guess lol.

Glenn, I haven't got your email address, so I'm gunna have to ask you this here. Your surname 'Andersson' obviously means you come from a family originally called 'Anders'. Do you know any more about the origins of you name?

I know my adoptive name of Rosenthal means 'a valley of roses' but I don't know how far back it goes. I'd hate to try and trace the origins of my real name 'Smith' lol.

Who's gunna start a 'Happy New Year' thread?

Cheers to all
Jules

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules,

'Andersson' is one of the most common surnames in Sweden, and it is a relic from the time when the children was given a surname based on their father's first name (Anders - Andersson; female: Andersdatter). Usually you have to go back to the mid 19th century, when this was abolished - on the countryside the custom to form surnames in this manner could linger on way into the early 20th century. So yes, some male head of the family once had Anders as first name and his children was given surnames after him. I don't know when it happened, though, because I haven't investigated my family roots.
But '
Andersson', I believe, is the fifth or sixth most common surname in Sweden and not at all original.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian
-----
"It's a BEAUTIFUL day - watch some bastard SPOIL IT."
Sign inside the Griffin Inn in Bath

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn

Are we into a Boxing Day ....'Whos got the most interesting name Competition!'????

LOL!!!!! My maiden name was Burningham....will leave you with that!!!

LOL Happy Boxing Day!

Suzi x

Nicholas Smith
Inspector
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn, Suzi, everyone.

That was interesting Glenn, thanks. Suzi - I guess your ancestors couldn't cook lol.

Have a great day all

Jules

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3480
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HA HA! lol now just building up to cooking a Sir Loin (oh Eh) of Beef

and chatting to Lyn!

LOL .....Glenn we'll live eh??

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 695
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got 'The Hands of the Ripper' as a prezzie........and a teddy bear called Grouchy.......but then you all know I'm wierd.

Have a lovely holiday everyone,

Janie

xxx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5438
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't "Hands of the Ripper" the film that proves that knitting can be fatal?

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Janie
Great prezzie!!!!!!! I have bears and cats!!!!!! Hope you had a good one!!!

Suzixxxx

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 623
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wanna see my prezzie??
My very own "Bridal sword". Neato, eh?

Hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas!

Love,

Lyn x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LIGHTWEGHT!!!!!!

Hee heee (word word)

Suzi xx

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that your 'Bridal Sword' then, Suz?

It's lovely, though!

Lyn xxx

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got lots of strange things I asked for. Most curious was a couple of small matching gargoyles that are now sitting in my porch.

Amongst the other things was a CD of old 1920s 78s of sketches, which included Tod Slaughter's series of Sweeney Todd and The Red Barn, but also had all 6 sides of Will Hay's 'Fourth Form At St Michaels' which in spite of being 75 years old is STILL very funny!

I also got a windproof brolly for my tours (I have one tomorrow night).

Too much chocolate...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one can never have too much chocolate Philip!!!!

Ask anyone - they'll tell you
"Yo, don't believe the hype"

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got a digital camera for christmas. My Mom always knows what gadgets I hesitate to buy. Lyn and I've taken some shots of the inside of the house. Casa Vila looks like cross between a library, an armory, and a bar.

Some of the books...

The Bar...

And half of the Armory...

We also did some playing around with a different camera and had gotten the photos back from the developers last week. I originally wanted to change my Casebook Profile pic to this next one, but decided that people would get the wrong idea...

I think the teddy bear and the hat really creates the image I was aiming for in this photo.
I can't wait until we get the other costume shots developed. There are some of me as a Discworld wizard that ought to be good for some real laughs.
OK, now to test this post and see if I goofed...
Hugs to the huggable, and Season's Greetings!

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daniel,

That shot of the bedroom needs to be retaken. The bed wasn't made.

Love always,

Lyn x

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas from Canada

Be thankful you don't live in this notorious hamlet in Newfoundland!

Cheers,

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.