Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Abusing the English Language on the B... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Abusing the English Language on the Boards « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps he would express himself by killing whores?

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently working as a volunteer in a hospital records department. You have not lived until you have tried to decipher a handwritten report done by a doctor. If you don't believe me just look at the next prescription you get. Most of them look like an explosion in a noodle factory. I tremble when I think that someone could die if this stuff is misread.

Jeff Leahy
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

The internet is a research tool. Nothing more nothing less. Writen comunication is a physical necessity as a means to an end.

Expressing yourself saccinctly and clearly is just likely to get better results.

Are you claiming that you do this as some sort of higher moral art form?

Very stange....me I'm just after information and a place to puzzle me thoughts...

But I guess people's entitled to whatever reason they seems fit. Think its a bit much to expert everyone to have the same motivation.

Means to an end.....maintain your humour, thats what me thinks gov.

Jeff

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

The internet is not just a research tool. When you have forums, you are creating communities. Your post above, what research does it show? What purpose does it serve to further your knowledge? None.

You were prompted to post out of a desire to express your thoughts, feelings and opinions. To chat, to communicate, to socialize. That is the motivation for everyone on the boards. It is not a means to an end. Each post contains within it its own purpose...the author's desire to communicate. Otherwise you would just read what everyone else has to say and go merrily on your way.

Therefore, as posting is the end to the means, as its purpose is to communicate, one should do it in as clear and comprehensible manner as possible.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what! Pretty soon there will be no more spelling or typo problems. They are working very hard on voice recognition technology. Someday in the not too distant future the keyboard will be outdated. We just speak into a microphone and the computer translates it into written words. I've played with it and there are still glitches, but the promise is great. Then there won't be anything left to argue about!

Jeff Leahy
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daina they'll be arguing about regional accents then. especially those chaps over the pond.

You say tomatto! I'll say timatto!

Is this a conversation...Am I not learning anything....?

Tematooo, Tiartoe, Tamoutou, Tameteato...

Ok you win Ally

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 602
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Jeff, then you have to go on and decide if we are going to use British, American or Australian spelling! Actually one of the funnest parts of this website are the different (correct by country) spellings. It's almost a visual accent.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOps! Jeffrey, shall we use the spelling of the United Kingdom, the United States of America, or Australia. By far, the most amusing features of this website are the diverse means each country contrives wherewith to spell. It reminds one of a visual accent.

Please don't get too mad at me. I couldn't resist!

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Australia is going to be added in there, then Canada should be as well. We speak English too.

And I would say in regards to learning on these threads . . . I think if one converses, they learn; if one pontificates there is little learning. Jeff seems to converse, so I would imagine he is learning . . . I can't say the same for all the people who post on here. Myself included.

-K
I'll see you in time . . .

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 604
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My deepest apologies to all you Canadians. Sorry Kris.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris!
Having exchanged more than a few words with these soooooper chaps from the land of Rosemarie!!they're the cats a**!!!!

Diana -they're MORE English than I am at times!!!!!AND know how to party!!!!!!
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana!
Be nice to Kris!
He'll come round!!! (IN TIME!)

Suzi

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And New Zealanders of course, sweetheart.

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Kris Law, Long time no see. Thought maybe you had "kicked the bucket" Just wanted to share with you some down east humour. THE BOOKS OF SAMS,PROVERBS,CLEAZY ASTYS AND SONGA SALOMON. These books is al fulla poetry. Even though it dont rime it is luvly in itself and dont need any help from anybuddy. I-Say-Uh, Jerry Myer, Zeekyell, HoSeeya, Jole, Aymiss, Obie Dire, Miker, Nay Him, Habbakook, Zeffernyyuh, Haggy, Seckerire, Mallerky and YOU KNOW WHO !!! Every one of these is a profit. A profit is sumbuddy, gets up on a high place, looks down on everbuddy elts. No matter what ther name is, eveyone of em profits seem to be teli}in the people the same thing. YER DOIN IT ALL WRONG ! \black)

Best regards "GIZMO"
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to have really blown it! Sorry, I should have included all of the great English speaking family. If I start another list I'm sure to leave someone out.

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strangely enough, I wrote an editorial for Aphelion last year that touched on the coming speech-to-text revolution. Or fad, depends on if it catches on. My take on it is that soon, Boards like this one will be a mix of hand-typed posts, speech-to-text posts, and small MPEG recordings from off of someone's desk-cams or animation with voicovers.
And chatrooms will be the same way, only live. I expect to see a mix of text on the screen and several thumbnail windows with animated avatars or live images of the chatters. With some of the text coming from speech, and others having their own computers read the text aloud to them. Should be quite a program. I can't wait to download it from mIRC, LOL!
Of course, I could be wrong and it won't catch on. All of this stuff would seem to require everyone to have broadband. No more dial-ups? Wow! That would be historic.
Oh, I think the things could even be taught one's own regional accent, and to be able to type in dialect or not as the user wishes.
And people are going to be offered several custom computer voices to pick from to use on their own computers. I predict Majel Barret and HAL and Tony Jay will be the big winners of the custom computer voice contests. With Sean Connery and Brent Spiner (SP?) coming in a close second. I'm willing to bet there'll be a Robin Williams version- based on his robot character in Bicentenniel Man. And a Terminator, and the voice of the Book from Hitchhiker's Guide. I do hope that someone does a Valentine Dyal voice. He'd be grand and impressive. Oh, I expect there'll be an Elvis version, and other greats & near-grates.
Going up to your computer and talking to it, and having it talk back, has been the dream of countless programmers for a long, long time. I'm looking forward to seeing how close my predictions are.
Dan

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4601
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

As a slow typist (one finger, or two when a capital is required) I would welcome the chance to talk to my computer Star Trek style. However, I'm not so sure about the idea of it answering me back. The thought of my nephew rigging my computer to sing its statements in Barbara Streisand's voice, just to drive me up the wall, is far, far too gruesome to contemplate.

Robert

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would anyone like to hear me tell the infamous "Bowels no move" joke here? Talk about abusing the English language. Telling this joke hilariously was one of my claims to fame in high school. People used to make it a point to meet me in the school library to hear me re-tell this story. Got sort of a knack for this one, you might say. Just let me know.

David

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Bowels move.teepee full of ----!"
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This wouldn't have anything to do with Dogs engaged in procreative acts would it?
Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.