Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Internet problems with George (moved ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Internet problems with George (moved from eBay watch) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again. Yes, should have moved it here ages ago.

Right, Andy - there were 2 CWShredders. It wouldn't download the first one - it made out it had, but it did it instantly and when I clicked on the I AGREE box it simply finished the window and shut it.

I downloaded and ran the second CWShredder, however, and it said my system was completely clean.

There's a lot of weird crap happening with my PC right now and every scan (except the ones that want you to pay for them, or Adware & SpyBot scans - which are picking up and clearing loads every day) say there is nothing at all in my system and I have used a lot of powerful recommended programs to do all this. I'm only using about 3 or 4 websites and all of them are big established ones.

Any ideas what I should try next?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ANYONE ON MOZILLA :

I have found one of these latest things which is making uploading messages on websites very difficult.

I am getting a grey toolbar with pink icons that keeps popping up at the bottom of the screen since I switched from IE to Mozilla last night. I have discovered when it happens. Most times I put an apostrophe in text it activates it and jumps to another point in the thread where the letters I've just keyed in around the apostrophe match it. The toolbar only appears for a few seconds then goes again. Does anyone know how on earth I can get rid of it?

Also, since I have downloaded this Firefox, it disables my scroll bar on the mouse when previewing a message.

PHILIP

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.

I'm very surprised that the CWS scan came up clean. I'm still suspicious -- especially since you couldn't open the first one you downloaded.

Can you get into the spywareinfo.com website or the trendmicro.com (antivirus.com) website? If not, I'm almost positive you have a variant of the CWS trojan. If you can get into the antivirus.com website, do an online scan. A computer techie friend of mine swears by that online scan as being the best.

At some point, as you are discovering, you have to make decisions about how much security is enough and how much begins to constitute a bother. I don't worry about blocking every tracking cookie or even every bot. I just run the Ad-Aware scan frequently to clear these out. I use McAfee plus a firewall plus Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster to keep the trojans away.

So far it has worked well.

One final thing. I have noticed that eBay does do some funny things. I have no problems accessing it from home but from work eBay always disables my antivirus software!

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on January 19, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy.

I couldn't tell you how many anti-Trojans recommended to me personally by experts at Computer Cops I have installed and run. Plenty of the top ones.

I have reset to IE now and the system is running OK. CWShredder, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, Kendio Firewall, TDS-3 and running a2 (supposed to be as sophisticated as it can get) and beyond the odd (I have been informed) innocent SpyBot all is now clear (even the Adware cookies have gone).

I found a page about eBay being phished so I downloaded all the info and changed loads of settings, putting all these phish addresses (one of which I recognised as taking over eBay each night as the name appeared in the bottom of the screen though normal eBay was at the top) into my Restricted Folder then cleared out the cache, rescanned etc etc.

The test will come tonight at 11pm. I have a 50/50 feeling it will now be OK. I have just tried both your websites above and I could get into them no hassle. So that is one worry over.

I do appreciate all your help (and from others too). Everything on the PC is nice right now (6 hours ago it was in utter chaos) and even the Firewall requests have stopped.

I do have to add something else, though, for the safety of everyone.

I have just been sent the MYDOOM virus. Thankfully, Norton got rid of it and my scans have shown it is not in my system.

Everyone, look out for an e-mail from 'The Post Office' with the message 'MESSAGE COULD NOT BE DELIVERED' and an attachment. If your anti-virus is poor, you could be next!

PHILIP

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad everything is running OK now. Hoping for the best with eBay tonight!

Andy time you are blocked from spywareinfo.com you can immediately suspect a CWS trojan. These guys have been at war with each other for a couple of years now!

Andy S.

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ME!!!

The problems are over. Gone.

I downloaded this page today :

http://www.bestwebauctions.net/ebay/index-speedup-site.php

It seemed a long shot BUT IT HAS WORKED!

I am now 1.5 hours into the 6-hour cut-off I have had from eBay for a month and all is running smoothly. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. I now have tons of nice safety software, an awareness I never had before that there is more to bugs in your PC than what Norton Antivirus finds and access restored!

It is running a bit slow right now (the speed you would expect if I wasn't on broadband) but that is largely to sites based in the US and I'm not unduly worried as it is the correct web addresses that are coming up at both the top and bottom of the screen. This has only slowed down in the past few minutes. If it were my nasty hijackers trying to get in then that would have happened over an hour ago.

With joy,
PHILIP

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil

Ah crap, that means we no longer have 6 hours a day when we can outbid you without you knowing about it!
"All I know of morality, I learned from football" - Albert Camus
http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must find out your eBay id Alan (mine is pretty obvious!) - if you are one of my chief rivals (I have the names burned into memory!) I shall search and destroy!

PHILIP

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well if you take my username, or part of the website address which is now part of my signature (hint hint everyone), add something relating to this topic, you've pretty much got it.
"All I know of morality, I learned from football" - Albert Camus
http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What would that be then. Alan?

wwwmaybrick?

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what, folks?

It's all collapsed again. I had one night of partial eBay access and tonight it is all up the creek once more, though I now run SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Norton Antivirus 2004, Kendio Firewall, TAU-3, a2 and SpyBlaster!

I am going to have to have a total rebuild.

It shows you that NO ONE is safe!

PHILIP (Gutted)

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George -

I haven't had an opportunity to read up on your problem, but I think a "total rebuild" is probably a little drastic at this phase. Tell me what exactly is happening and I'll see if I can fix it. Give me very specific symptoms, please :-)

Also, system specs (type of machine, OS, etc) will prove very helpful.

If you have a fast internet connection, we can set up a VPN or use VNC and I'll take a look around the machine. Finding out what the root cause is becomes paramount so that when you get done reformatting and reinstalling everything, it doesn't happen again :-)

Legion
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Legion. This has been ongoing for some time and I have had experts (loads of them) on all sorts of forums advising me. I was away for a month and when I got back in late December I suddenly found I had no eBay access from 11pm to 5am every night, though everything else was fine. I could sometimes get to the home page after about 5 minutes of download time, the sign in page came and went very quickly, then My eBay would not come up - the download bar would progress a couple of pixels every 5 seconds, and would then freeze halfway. This was for every eBay site worldwide, though nothing else seemed to be affected during this. The next morning, all would be fine again. It always came on at 11pm.

I am on broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo in the UK and run Windows 98SE.

I have Norton Antivirus 2004 which is totally up to date and detects no viruses or anything even quarantined as far as I'm aware. I wasn't running a Firewall though - I thought I had always had one, but hadn't. I now use Kendio - but a lot of the time have no idea what I should or shouldn't be letting in - masses of numbers mean nothing to me! And what's a 'packet' that random numbers keep wanting to send me (which I turn down)?

I downloaded HijackThis and sent the results to ComputerCops who confirmed my system was totally clear on a basic scan and a huge detailed one.

I downloaded and used SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, a2, Tau-3, Spyblaster and CWShredder. Though S&D & Ad-Aware always come up with a few things every time I run them (I have been told they are harmless), everything is ultimately supposedly clear.

I was getting nowhere. In the end, on advice, I switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox as my browser. It was horrible and made no difference. I hated it so reset to IE after about 4 days.

I then discovered that although it would say (for example) 'http://www.ebay.co.uk' on the top toolbar when I tried to get into eBay, it would say 'include.ebaystatic.com' at the bottom of the screen. So I put this into Google and discovered this is some site with phishing connections.

A link showed me how to put that site, with a load of others, in my Restriced Zone and change my settings to restore access. I did it a couple of nights ago, and up to half past midnight full access to eBay was restored. I thought that was the end of the matter. But then it started slowing down again.

The next night I had virtually no access again. Unlike previously, I can eventually get to a page, but it will take about 10 minutes to come in. The data LED on my modem doesn't light up during it - just as if it is trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

So that's pretty much it!

Over to you...

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I know this is the "Internet Problems with George" thread, but Lyn is also experiencing some problems..

Can anyone tell me why, whenever I open Outlook Express, I am immediately disconnected from the internet? My ISP tells me that it's a problem at my end, and they can't help me. Crix, maybe you have some idea??

Please don't for one minute let my request for help detract from helping Philip with his... it's important that we get Philip back on eBay so that he can keep on winning those valuable Ripper items to share with the rest of us.

Just any pointers would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No advice for you Lyn - I am a PC divvy in many ways, but I will tell you my deeds of property from 1853 for The Horse & Leaping Bar in Whitechapel High Street has arrived. I will post the main page at some point. It's a beauty.

PHILIP
x

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Hi Legion. This has been ongoing for some time and I have had experts (loads of them) on all sorts of forums advising me. I was away for a month and when I got back in late December I suddenly found I had no eBay access from 11pm to 5am every night, though everything else was fine. I could sometimes get to the home page after about 5 minutes of download time, the sign in page came and went very quickly, then My eBay would not come up - the download bar would progress a couple of pixels every 5 seconds, and would then freeze halfway. This was for every eBay site worldwide, though nothing else seemed to be affected during this. The next morning, all would be fine again. It always came on at 11pm."

Hey There Phillip :-)

Hope you had a good weekend. Sorry I didn't get back to you until now. I can't speak for the other folks who have attempted to help, but do know I can give you some very solid recommendations. It is nice that your on broadband because this will allow me to VNC into your machine and watch the packets go back and forth myself, if need be. The fact that it can be tracked to a specific time frame and a specific web site screams phish (you'll want definition #13) to me (could be on your machine or on a remote one) however, let's take a look at the rest of your post and see what we can see.

"I am on broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo in the UK and run Windows 98SE."

Broadband == Good, Win98SE with no firewall and Norton == 0wn3d b0x3n. In other words, your OS and lack of firewall has most certainly caused you an issue at least once in the past, whether you knew it or not :-)

Are you sure you don't have a firewall at all? If you have a broadband connection, the chances (at least here in the states) of you having one of those linksys little blue routers® is quite high. If this is the case, you have a pretty decent defense in place. It's by no means full proof, nothing is, but it is an extra step that someone has to go through to get to your machine. Is this broadband of yours cable or DSL? If it is cable, there are only a few select cable modems with routers built in them. If it's DSL, there's a good chance that the modem has a router/switch/NAT box built in. Some do, some don't. If you wouldn't mind, gimme the details of your connection from the wall outlet (either phone or cable) to your machine.

"I have Norton Antivirus 2004 which is totally up to date and detects no viruses or anything even quarantined as far as I'm aware. I wasn't running a Firewall though - I thought I had always had one, but hadn't. I now use Kendio - but a lot of the time have no idea what I should or shouldn't be letting in - masses of numbers mean nothing to me! And what's a 'packet' that random numbers keep wanting to send me (which I turn down)?"

Norton is not only a resource hog, it's not very good at finding things sometimes. Sure, they update their definitions like twice a day sometimes, but the problem there is that other scanners have already updated their definitions. Sometimes 2 or 3 days _before_ Norton has gotten around to it. At least, this used to be their methodology. Things might have improved in the 'updating of definitions' department, but it's still a resource hog. And if you are running Win98SE, resources are something of great value. Might I suggest Grisoft's AVG free edition? Personally, I find it a lot more reliable than any of the others. It's very quick, good on resources (i.e. doesn't slow your machine down to a crawl) and most of all, it's free :-) As far as the software firewall goes. Those numbers are IP address and packets are little bits of data that get sent between them. The software firewall is probably asking for your permission to let your machine (and a specific piece of software) speak to another machine. Unfortunately, what to do in this situation is beyond the scope of this post.. but I can point in the right direction if you want to learn basic networking stuff.

"I downloaded HijackThis and sent the results to ComputerCops who confirmed my system was totally clear on a basic scan and a huge detailed one."

Well, that's the problem with phish scams.. it's a mostly a redirect scheme and not an actual piece of code on your machine. Thus, a virus scanner or trojan scanner isn't going to pick anything up. It's just using exploits in your browser (IE is known the world over for these) to redirect your machine to their site, which looks like the real site you are trying to reach. Since they have fooled you at this point, they waste no time in collecting whatever information you give them. A good way combat phish scams is to use Firefox or Mozilla, clear out all your cookies and history daily and pay closer attention to where your browser is pointed :-)

"I downloaded and used SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, a2, Tau-3, Spyblaster and CWShredder. Though S&D & Ad-Aware always come up with a few things every time I run them (I have been told they are harmless), everything is ultimately supposedly clear."

All of those tools are very good ones, and you are in the clear to use them. However, phish scams use exploits in the browser (mostly) and then run a trick to redirect you to their server. None of the tools listed above can really catch that. It requires user intervention and a little bit of skill to spot, unfortunately.

"I was getting nowhere. In the end, on advice, I switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox as my browser. It was horrible and made no difference. I hated it so reset to IE after about 4 days."

Sorry to hear that, because both of those are miles ahead of IE in terms of security. There isn't really much of a learning curve for Firefox, but if there is some functionality of it that is missing that IE has, let me know about it There are oodles of toys for it to make it as IE like as possible.

"I then discovered that although it would say (for example) 'http://www.ebay.co.uk' on the top toolbar when I tried to get into eBay, it would say 'include.ebaystatic.com' at the bottom of the screen. So I put this into Google and discovered this is some site with phishing connections.

A link showed me how to put that site, with a load of others, in my Restriced Zone and change my settings to restore access. I did it a couple of nights ago, and up to half past midnight full access to eBay was restored. I thought that was the end of the matter. But then it started slowing down again.

The next night I had virtually no access again. Unlike previously, I can eventually get to a page, but it will take about 10 minutes to come in. The data LED on my modem doesn't light up during it - just as if it is trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

So that's pretty much it!
"

It sounds like you might be on top of it now, but you still might be affected. Clear out those cookies and history, switch browsers and if it comes down too it, type in the IP address of the server you are trying to get to, not the name. You can go to www.samspade.org to get some redirect and reverse DNS information. Also, I'm not sure what your specs are for that machine, but might I whole heartily recommend windows XP Pro. It's got a lot of networking tools that XP home doesn't have. This will allow you a little bit more flexibility in tracking stuff down when it happens, should you choose to. While it is very insecure from the first login, it's not nearly as bad as 98SE.

"Over to you...

PHILIP
"

Right back at cha, herr Philip. Hope I was helpful.

Legion
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crix,

If you happen to notice this post, I need some 'puter advice here.. Basically, every time I open Outlook Express, I'm immediately disconnected from the internet. I'm unable to download e-mail, and since OE is my main e-mail whatever-you-call-it, I'm screwed. Any pointers as to what might be causing the problem? My ISP say it's a problem at my end..

Thanks in advance (to anyone who can tell me what the problem might be).

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linsdey,

Since you can't download mail I don't know if this is causing your problem, but try clicking on tools at the very top of the OE menu, then select "options". Click the "connection" tab and make sure the box that says "hang up after sending and receiving" isn't checked.

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Thank you - will try doing that now..

Much appreciated!

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David!

You are the cat's whiskers!

That worked!

Thank you, thank you!

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Joy!

I have my OE up and running, thanks to David!

Now I can reply to all y'all!!!

Replies are-a-comin'!

Lyn

(Thank you, David!)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome, Lindsey. Glad it helped.

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It did, David,

I am now up and running e-mail-wise!

Thank you again!

Lyn

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotta say I am impressed with the tech support shown here. I've learned a lot.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 5:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone sent me a package full of virus' to the e-mail account I use here to promote and take orders for my book. It wiped out my e-mail entirely and brought my entire system down. My orders list is safe but I lost some valuable messages.

I lost my endnotes (lost them once before awhile back - different story). This is very difficult to do over and also time consuming. My entire book was wiped out. Thankfully, everything but the endnotes I was working on is backed up.

For the time being, I am no longer taking orders through my lacassagne@email.com account. If anyone wishes to contact me, do it through my home address. I apologize to those who don't know it and with whom I corresponded with through my public address. But I have no choice at present. Not until I know where the virus' came from.

I'm extemely frustrated and pissed off. I was just wondering if any others on this board have had any similar problem.

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Hoping that some sweet Casebook member(s) might be able to help me out with a pointer in the right direction.. not exactly internet problems, but problems nonetheless.

Having installed Windows 98, my system is working just fine, but all images look like "negatives", and when I open the Casebook (for instance) the entire background is a bunch of yellow dots. I have fiddled around with settings, but nothing I have tried has made any difference. The Windows 98 troubleshooting guide tells me that my colour palette needs to be set to 256 colours.. trouble is, I don't seem to have have that option. I have two options.. 16 colours and two colours.

Any pointers?? They would be very much appreciated!

Lyn

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn - it sounds to me like your PC is working in SAFE MODE. As many of you will know, I have just had a hacker and had to reset loads of things and my ISP ran tests with me in safe mode. Whilst doing it my screen saver came up - in a kind of colour 2-tone negative - just like you're describing, Lyn. I don't know how to change it, but with the knowledge that is what it might well be, someone else here certainly will. It is not a big deal and I was under the impression when you started your PC again it should usually return to normal.

As for me, the problems are - it seems - mostly over. Everyone, you should have a Firewall. Not having one caused me 3 days of Hell. It was even worse than being cyberstalked.

PHILIP

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

someone i know is always having a problem with this. I think the colour needs changing to 16 bit. if that ain't right try all the others. if it still ain't right,
sorry
I tried my best!!
Jenni

ps Philip are you back in the land of computers now?
"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

I believe you can modify your color quite easily by going to "Start" then "Control Panel" and "Display." Once in "Display" you find the tab that says "Settings" and reset it on "16 bit high color." I believe that should solve your problem. Good luck, Lyn! :-)

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the pointers.. I actually do have my settings on 16 bit (I only have two options - 2 bit and 16). Having done some hunting for troubleshooting tips over the past couple of days, it seems that I need a 256 bit colour setting, and for that I am going to have to track down the drivers needed (wish me luck!)

Thanks again!

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again!

Okay.. tracked down the drivers I needed - took my computer apart and found the model make and number, and did an online search. All downloaded, and working pefectly! Everything looks normal again

Love,

Lyn

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.