Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Happy FryDay Scott Peterson! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Happy FryDay Scott Peterson! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it has been a fairly sheety month, with vast quantities of bad news, not the least of which is that I have to have Howdy Doody's retarded cousin as my elected leader for the next four years. But today there is good news. For anyone who has been following the Laci Peterson case I am sure you already know but I needed to a do a happy dance! Hey Hey goodbye, one way or another he's going to die, strapped to a gurney thanks to his useless attorney or by a shiv in the eye from some lifer guy! Hey hey! Bye bye.

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally

Is someone about to be executed?

Robert

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nah. There is a trial over here that has gripped a good many people in our country..a man accused of killing his eight-month pregnant wife. The trial has been a circus with an over the top publicity seeking defense attorney ( the same guy who was going to originially defend Michael Jackson on his perv charges). But anyway the trial has been long, drawn out and close to mistrial and the jury has finally delivered a verdict today of guilty.

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally

i see. Just out of interest, how many murder charges was he on? (eight months pregnant)

Robert

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was up for two and convicted of two..first degree in the case of his wife, second in the case of his son. This case was also responsible for getting a law passed that Howdy Doody's retarded cousin signed after it had stalled in congress for several years. It was a law stating that if a man (or woman) killed a pregnant woman, it would automatically count as two murders (some states had this law, others did not, this was to be a federal law). After this case came to light and became a national obsession based mostly on the fact that his wife Laci was a pretty vivacious woman who has a huge beautiful smile in every one of her pictures, the bill was renamed the Laci and Conner law and it passed in two shakes.

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's good to know that he was done for both murders.

Isn't there a bit of a problem lurking concerning foetuses that are young enough to qualify for legal abortion? Suppose the woman was in the early stages of pregnancy. Would he be on a murder charge then?

Robert

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the language of the law specifically precludes abortions from counting in the law, but the actual age of the fetus does not matter. Abortion rights advocates were rabid over it, seeing it as yet another erosion of roe v wade and they are right in the fact that they could have just made the murder of a pregnant woman a special circumstances murder rather than granting victims rights to a fetus. However, HD's RC and the bills proponents put the exclusionary clause against legal abortions. However, now that fetus's have been granted victim's rights...

It's only a matter of time. Move North folks before Canada closes it's borders.

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"-----strapped to a gurney thanks to his useless attorney-----". Hi Ally, You had better hope that an appeals court does no agree with you on that point or else Mr.Peterson may outlive us all.In addition its California not Texas. Sadly to say its a long way from being over. I wouldnt be surprized at all that an appeals court overturns the verdict somewhere down the line. Thats the good ole U.S.A. fer ya. As far as crossing the border into Canada aye,at least you dont have to get fingerprinted. cheers "GIZMO"
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear that Scott got convicted, and that he may end up on that gurney. But remember, it's California: Manson and Sirhan were both convicted there for first degree murder, and both are still alive.

Jeff

Peter Sipka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Peter

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Ally,

I find it disturbing to see how Scott Peterson was found guilty. If evidence is actually analyzed properly, and people take the hate they have for this man, it's hard to see how he was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

If you remember, the foreman of the group, who took the most notes, actually wanted to analyze all the evidence, while the rest didn't want to have any part in that. Not only that, when the foreman was dismissed, the jury was told to start over, but it’s clear they didn’t.
A mistrial?

Take care

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't matter if he was guilty or not. (I suspect that he is, but there wasn't enough evidence presented in his court trial to convince *me* beyond *any* level of doubt) But he was convicted and sentenced by the media before he was even charged, and that's all that counts here in the good ol' US of A. CNN and FOX News tell people what to think and whom to vote for (shades of George Orwell!) so that the viewers don't have to strain their brains learning to think for *themselves.* Our "wonderful" politicians and media-ghouls learned a long time ago that an informed & educated populace would be highly dangerous to their precious ballance of power, projected graft incomes, and slush funds. So pundits & politicos of all stripes have a vested interest in dumbing down the average American victim- er, citizen as much as possible. As circumstantial evidence, I point to the low pay of teachers, the proliferation of so-called "reality" TV programming (Whose reality? Not the one I live in, bub.), and the abysmal lack of thermonuclear response to 9/11.

Ally should watch out: good teachers like her who are dedicated to their students are *dangerous* to the present establishment. They actually have the unmitigated gall to teach their students to *think for themselves* rather than placidly accept the official opinions formed for them by the spin doctors who rein over us all! Shocking, I know. I fear for the future of this once great nation. Pass the pablum, will you? I'm afraid that I yet possess a still-functioning brain cell that needs to be sedated before I accidentally cause some poor innocent soul to think for themselves.
As always, the opinions expressed in my rants are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Casebook management, staff, or members. Contrary opinions are activly solicited and will be happily welcomed.
Vila
"I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own."

Eliza Cline
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I loathe the American media too and they must bear some of the blame for the horrific Presidential election outcome. But media coverage had nothing to do with the outcome in the Peterson case. The guy admitted he was fishing, on the day of the murder, in a spot where the bodies later turned up. That and his classic guilty-person behavior--such as talking and laughing on the phone with his mistress while attending a vigil for his missing wife--was what convicted him, and rightly so. There was no reasonable doubt in this case.

I oppose the death penalty based on the fact that so many death row convicts were later found to be innocent. But I won't shed any tears over the execution of Peterson.

Richard P. Dewar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Scott Peterson case reflects how most trials are decided. Except in some of the high profile cases involving celebrities, "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" is not the standard. Most trials result in convictions merely if the suspect probably was guilty.

I don't know if Peterson murdered his wife - he probably did. But my hunch is not based on any evidence related directly to the murder but simply because Peterson seems like the kind of person who could commit such a crime.

Then again, most Americans came to the same conclusion about Saddam and WMDs.

Richard P. Dewar

Cyn Martni
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for those who think scott peterson was convicted without enough evidence, i can only imagine that you don't believe in convictions based only on circumstantial evidence-because there was PLENTY of evidence to convict him of murdering his wife and son in cold blood!

when his marital status was questioned by shawn sibley, he BEGGED her to allow him to tell amber the "truth". (remember, in one call to amber he tells her that he tells the truth 'with exceptions'. LOL. also tells her he was never unfaithful to her. LOL again!)

when he finally does speak with amber, he tells her he HAD been married, but had LOST his wife, this would be the FIRST holidays without her, and he'd be FREE to spend more time with amber after january 25th.

within a 24 hour period, which included this "confession" to amber, scott was online finding a boat to buy. NEVER in all the years he was with laci had he owned a boat. he never registered the boat with the dmv and he never insured the boat/trailer. he also, in this 24 hour window, researched the tidal and current activity out of the berkeley marina, as well as a shipping channel in that vicinity.

less than two weeks later his wife acutally is LOST, and she's gone missing on the very day scott peterson drives about 4 hours round trip to spend less than one hour on the water with this new boat that NO ONE knew about.

he leaves two messages for her that day. she neither answers nor returns those calls. hmmmm. she was, according to him, going to be home that day cooking/baking in preparation for the next day, but he's not concerned about her not answering the phone calls nor calling him back. hmmm.

he arrives home and there are no lights on in the house, even though her vehicle is in the driveway. but this doesn't strike him as odd. hmmm.

the dog is in the backyard, still with his leash on, and even though according to him laci was taking mckenzie for a walk that MORNING, he doesn't find it odd to find the dog in the yard with his leash still on. hmmm.

the back door is unlocked. scott doesn't find this at all odd either, for some reason. hmmm.

there is NO sign of laci doing any cooking/baking that day. no yummy smells of the gingerbread she was to bake. the mops/bucket were still where he'd left them that morning. the kitchen hadn't been cleaned up from the night before. but none of this strikes him as odd? hmmm.

he's not the least bit concerned about anything UNTIL he's taken a shower, washed the clothes he was wearing that day, and eaten some pizza. then he's suddenly concerned? hmmm.

when he's FIRST asked by law enforcement what he'd been fishing for and what bait/tackle he'd used, he had absolutely no answers! hmmm.

during the searches, he makes six trips to the marina. he always takes a borrowed or rented vehicle. despite it being about 90 miles each way, he never stays longer than 3 to 4 minutes. he never speaks with anyone. just looks out to see where the searchers are looking, and then he leaves. hmmm. pretty hard to monitor what the searchers are doing in such a few minutes, but that's plenty of time to see if they're looking in the RIGHT place. hmmm.

four months later the bodies of his wife and son wash ashore an average each of 1.25 miles from where he claimed he'd been fishing. hmmm.

this is just a rough overview of the actual evidence presented during the trial. but i think the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming and was more than adequate to justify the jury returning with guilty verdicts.

cyn

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear, I just know I didn't express myself well enough on that earlier post.
To clarify: I believe Peterson is guilty and wish his execution date were moved up to say, 5 minutes after sentence had been passed? That's fair, I think.

I just didn't like the way the national news declared him guilty before he was even charged. At that time, there was still the possibility that he was not a murderer. The trial decided that he was guilty, and I have no disagreement there, now that I've had time to think it all over. I retract any and all of my previous comments on the fairness of Peterson's trial. I can see now that my objections were really to News TV trying to sell adverts for cars by frothing at the mouth over someone who was *probably* guilty, but it was still far too early to tell. I should have stuck to complaining about the Newsies, rather than the trial. I inadvertently insulted the court and jurors by that. I apologize to them just as publicly.
Dan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.