Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ken Bigley (1942-2004) R.I.P. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Ken Bigley (1942-2004) R.I.P. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Some of you may have heard that Ken Bigley has been beheaded in Iraq by his captors in Iraq.

I post the following two poems in his memory.

Liverpool Diaspora

I access the Hilbre webcam almost every day,
island refuge in the Dee to which I walked
at low tide with my Nanna and Grandad. I gaze
toward West Kirby and my birth city, unseen,
as a Walton hostage pleads for his life
on an Islamic website, a graying engineer
in orange jumpsuit, kidnapped in Baghdad,
his two American friends already beheaded.

His mother Lil, 86, makes a teary-eyed televised
appeal for his life: "He is only a working man
who wants to support his family. Please show
mercy to Ken and send him home to me alive."
Monday's my Mom's 84th birthday. I have never
been to Iraq, but we Scousers row the same boat,
aching with strain and pain in body and mind.

Christopher T. George

Flowering of a Nation

As the bank manager shakes hands with his moist
palm, his hand is hardly human, more an arum lily.
The pretty blond who grips my hand

rather than kisses me full on the lips; I dream
that she gives me her tongue, a naked pistil
probes me from her orange tulip face.

A hostage taken, militants threaten to behead,
a step in the war on terrorism: our nation blooms
a forest of red roses from its neck.

Christopher T. George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good poems, Chris. And well done for tackling this horrible subject.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris for writing those words in memory of Ken Bigley.The whole dreadful business from start to finish searing through you daily.And yes the memories of Hilbre Island and West Kirby that Ken would have known and the fog horns sounding on the river around now.My parents used to take me over to Reeces tea place before carting me off to a Christmas pantomime and my nan would take me over through the railway tunnel from Woodside to the Bon Marche.Best though was the ferry boat you could go back and forth on for a penny[or was it threepence?]---and the ice skating rink ,New Brighton Fair ground on the one arm bandits till we kids had to beg our fare home having lost every penny!And of course there was the Cavern--
Well from the love and care we all saw from his Mother ,son, wife and brothers I hope that supported him to the end.
And maybe he would have guessed too that we"d all be rowing for him.
Natalie

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all

At a time like this with this most unspeakable news its good to hear people sending their love and thoughts.
The Ken Bigley story.. especially with todays rumours of an escape attempt aided by one of his captors is totally and utterly heart rending ..I find it so very difficult to come to terms with such senseless and despicable cruelty.

The dignity of Ken's family was something that must be an example to all.
My heart goes out to them...no one can imagine how they must feel and dear God i hope we never have to.

Suzi

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both poems are very evocative,Chris...

Its good that you created them...

HB

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Howard

Thank you, Howard, for your kind word about my poems. I also wanted you to know that I received your e-mail. I have been tied up with various things but will get down to answering your query.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,All
A very moving service held for Ken Bigley in liverpool.Ken"s eighty-six year old mother was there and Paul Bigley paid tribute to his brother.Ken"s niece too led one of the hymns and
Ken"s wife also attended.
The Prime Minister was there too and gave a reading.
The family were keen to show their desire to unite the differing faiths and there was a reading from the Koran.
R.I P. Ken
Natalie

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

I read about the service at the BBC site. I felt truly humbled. I can't even begin to imagine what Ken went through as a captive, and then victim of such hideous murder.

I'm glad that our Prime Minister took the time to be there at his memorial service.

Rest in peace, Ken.. God bless you and your family.

Lyn

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.