Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Music Makes The World Go Around Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Music Makes The World Go Around « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, we haven't had a music thread on here for a bit, so I am starting it back up again . . . what music do people like, or conversely, what music do people NOT like?

I guess I'll start since I'm beginning the thread.

Most of the music I like is from the late 60s and early 70s . . . My favourites are Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention, Captain Beefheart, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges (and to a lesser extent Iggy's solo stuff), Mr. David Bowie, Pink Floyd (but only the Waters years) and within the last year Led Zepplin.

I'm in my late 20s now and my musical taste has drastically developed over the last decade or so, I now also love the genres of Bluegrass, most older Country, blues from before the Korean War, and old folk music like Leadbelly . . .

whew . . .

I don't like the pop stuff thats around now, from Brittany to Sum 41 to Avril Lavigne . . . but there's not much I really hate.

Anyone else?

-K

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris!!! You must be a wow at Cocktail parties !!!

Ken says -
"You've never rocked unless you've boogied to the TOTALLY AWESOME beat of the Lawrence Welk Orchestra!"

I SAY-----2 bottles of Stoli and Status Quo does it for me!

Cheers
Suzi

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
if you want to keep this music thread going i guess we should all post something on it!

Well my favourite singer is Shakira

Cheers
Jennifer

ps Suzi Status Quo???

"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris. We have some crossover {Bowie, Velvets}, to which I will add Roxy Music, old Kinks, Kate Bush,and hmmmmm... Going to see the Cramps in two weeks and I'm pretty psyched.
Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

I've always been interested in the Cramps, despite the fact that I don't really know anything by them . . . And Roxy Music is amazing, I didn't mention them, but I should have, them and Brian Eno on his own . . . his time with Bowie was my favourite period . . . I only know one Kate Bush song well, "Wow" but I love it - LOVE it . . .

-K

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris,well I am a fair bit older than you but I like some of your favourites-Frank Zappa was brilliant.I like Tom Waits,The Chieftans and especially Mick Jagger singinf "The Long Black Veil",Sinead O"connor:Van Morrison"have I told you Lately That I Love You?";Janis Joplin-Cry Baby;and that lovely Canadian Leonard Cohen singing anything!There are others like Bob Dylon whose Lay lady Lay is still a favourite.And Rod Stewart singing Maggie May.I could go on and on.Kurt Cobain was fantastic and Courtney Love can be pretty good too.The La"s were terrific but seemed to go out like a light when Lee Mavers took off.I like some of Oasis,The Velvet Underground,Pulp,Blur.Well this is getting too long.
natalie

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

I can't believe I didn't put Tom Waits on my list! What a maroon I am . . . I adore Waits . . . especially his more recent stuff, from Bone Machine on . . . but my favourite is Frank's Wild Years from (i think) 1987 . . . that is the best album to go to sleep to.

-K

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,
How did I leave out Eno? I almost named my kid after him, but figured it wouldn't be worth the playground beatings!
Kelly
William Faulkner

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris!
Strangely I always thought of you as more of a pale pink man rather than a marroon one!!(he he !)

Status Quo???............The puuuuuuuuuuuuuurfect 3 piece rock band.......go check 'em out!
Marroons!

Cheers

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Status Quo are getting on a bit now. They used to sing "Down, Down" but now they can't get up again.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris,Frank"s Wild Years is my favourite too.Wonderful!
natalie

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert!!
Hmmmmmmmmmm arent we all sunshine!!
Can you believe that some folks have never heard of the Quo??? (he he )

Cheers

Suzi

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

Nooooo, I haven't heard of them. But that just gives me a project for the next little while . . . my tastes are ever expanding . . .

I've even recently warmed up the the King of Rock N' Roll, who some may remember I used to . . . how to say? . . . well, I didn't like him very much, let's just leave it at that. It got a little sticky last time I brought him up. (pulls at shirt collar to let cool air in)

Anyhoo, Status Quo . . . on my list of things to do . . .

-K

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris, you only need to buy the one album. It's not bad stuff, but it's a bit repetitive, to say the least. (I can say this because Suzi's over there and I'm over here)

Robert

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehe . . . ok . . do you know the name of the album?

-K

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris

Well, "Hello" is quite good. It's got "Roll Over, Lay Down" and "Caroline" on it. But Suzi's obviously the expert here!

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever you want!!!! Robert!

Hey watch ya back am home on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers!!! God its early here!!!
Suzi

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Currently in the CD Player:

Gang Starr - Full Clip - Disc 2

As for my taste, they range from classic to rap. Staying mainly in the middle. I'm not a large fan of death metal or any sort of speed music. I suppose all music has it's time and place.. it's just that I've yet to find a good time or place for death metal :-)

crix0r
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just seen Joe Cocker on the Music Channel.Hear him sing "I just need a little help from my friends".........something else that is!

Lisa Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Status Quo's early stuff from the psychadelic Years of the 60's were great! Pictures of Matchstick Men, When my mind is not Live etc - they had a great sound.

They underwent a complete change apparently after hearing Roadhouse Blues by The Doors on the radio.

As a complete polar teaming up they released All Around my Hat with English Folk group Steeleye Span, a duet which I was fortunate enough to see at Wembley.

Keep Rockin'
Lisa

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lisa
'Pictures of Matchstick Men ' wasn't the Quo am sure.......The Move?
Steeleye Span are still going I'm glad to report!..dont recall Quo teaming up with them tho...mind you it may just have been on of those days!!!
Get down!

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or even ONE of those days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAgh am having another one!!!
s

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi, "Pictures of Matchstick Men"? That brought back some memories. Geez we are old. Brad

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"STATUS QUO IN ONE MINUTE

Rick and Francis first met at Butlin's holiday camp in Minehead, it was 1965 and they were both in bands playing there for the summer season
Their only ever US hit was the psychedelic classic "Pictures Of Matchstick Men", which reached #12 in 1968
The band were the opening act at London Live Aid in 1985
Their 1996 cover of "Fun, Fun, Fun" reached #5 in the UK charts, despite the fact that it received no air play on Radio 1
In 1999 they went on a tour of English pubs, to celebrate the release of their Under The Influence LP
Heavy Traffic was voted bbc.co.uk Music's 'Classic Rock and Pop' album of 2002
The band have sold over 100 million albums, and notched up 50 British Hits (more than any other band, ever!)"

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/statusquo.shtml

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there pop-pickers,

I heard recently that The Kinks (or was it just their records?) were banned from the US in the 60s - what on earth did they do wrong? Were they too good? Or too bad? Were their lyrics too saucy or something, like The Stones's 'Let's Spend The Night Together', which had to be toned down for the sensitive souls across the pond?

Love,

Caz
X

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

In the summer of 1965 at the end of their first U.S. tour, The Kinks were banned from performing in the U.S. for unspecified "unprofessional conduct" for nearly five years (until late 1969). Their records were still available in the U.S. but didn't sell very well. It's unfortunate because some of their best work ['Village Green Preservation Society'and 'Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire')] comes from the period of the U.S. ban.

In the summer of 1965, the Kinks were rehearsing for an appearance on the show Shindig. While singing "Who'll be the Next in Line" a man with very little neck, standing just to the left side of the center camera, was making fun of (pretending to be a girl) and blowing kisses at Ray Davies. When the song finished, Ray dropped his guitar ran over and punched the guy in the face. Unfortunately the man was an official (rumored to have organized crime affiliations) in the Screen Actors Guild . The official's girlfriend, a Shindig dancer on stage at the time, openly flirted with Ray before the rehearsal. The U.S. ban started about a week later.

Sorry to hear that Kink's guitarist and Ray's brother Dave Davies suffered a stroke in June and is partially paralyzed on his right side.

Take care,
Kevin

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz and Kevin

Wow--I never knew that. I'm surprised that they were actually banned from performing for five years (fighting seems like a matter for a civil court) and wonder who had the authority to do such a thing.

Yes, best wishes to Dave Davies and also to Ray Davies (who seems to have recuperated from his New Orleans experience).

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz et al

Thanks for bringing up this interesting information which I previously had not known. I have been a long-time fan of the Kinks and think that Ray Davies is one of Britain's top pop music songwriters, so this is a revelation to me. It sounds as if Kevin has the story about right, from what I understand -- that the ban arose from the personal pique of a union representative who got on the wrong side of the band during a U.S. TV appearance the group made.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My best wishes to Dave Davies, too.

I've an idea the BBC banned "Plastic Man". I think they've banned Cliff Richard as well, haven't they?

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Thanks Kevin - how extraordinary - a five year ban for the whole wonderfully talented group over such a silly little personal incident like that.

Mind you, on our first holiday to The States in 1981, I was worried they were not going to let me and hubby into the country because we were living together at the time, and they kept asking when we were getting married and why we weren't married or even engaged (hubby was planning to propose on a cruise ship out of Miami the following week but he wasn't going to tell them that!), and then they proceeded to search my handbag, pulled out a bag of Sainsbury's wine gums and demanded to know what they were. I've never felt so guilty in my life.

Anyway, hubby proposed in hurricane season off The Bahamas, and we got married the following year on August 24th. I can't pretend it's been plain sailing ever since, but we are still together, and it's our 22nd anniversary today.

Hi Robert,

I heard that Tony Blackburn earned himself a suspension recently for continuing to play Cliff Richard records when told not to do so by the radio station.

I would have thought hanging was too good for Tony after committing such an assault on the nation's poor eardrums.

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

I've a feeling that hubby had better remember your anniversary!

Don't worry : I'm sure tonight you'll be whisked off for a nice pot of tea while a gypsy violinist serenades you with "Devil Woman".

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Wow what have I started here by a casual mention of the Quo!!!!
Thanks for all that tho!
Caz- Wow I always say that when times are hard a packet of wine gums and a glass of water always does it for me!! and as for the 'Tony' incident.....for once words fail me when it comes to a punishment to fit that paricularly heinous crime!!!
As to having things confiscated more to the point on leaving Canada last week I had MY CORKSCREW (always to hand in handbag in case of medical emergencies!) confiscated!!!!Came very close to causing an international incident!!

Cheers!(well can always push the cork in I guess!)

Suzi x

Lisa Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

I love the Kinks too, they haven't had it too good lately, Ray Davies was shot in New Orleans after running after a thief who mugged his female companion, his brother Dave Davies recently suffered a stroke.
I don't know about any of their records being banned, but know that royalties for The Doors 'Hello I Love You' sold in the UK goes to the Kinks because they successfully sued Morrison & Co saying it plagiarised their tune You Really Got Me.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooooooooooooooooooooh Dear!!!! That is so sad anyone know how Dave
is and did Ray survive that horror?

Those two tunes are I guess a 'tad' familiar!!!¬
ooooooh well

Cheers

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read that whenever the Stones performed "Satisfaction", Brian Jones insisted on playing "Popeye the Sailor Man" because he said the two songs sounded so alike.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert!
Ooooooooooooooooh God dont mention Popeye in 's hearing!!!! he he he!
And God why do I remember this Brian died on my birthday!
Hmmmmmmm stay out of that pool 'eh!
Am rehearsing those two songs in my head as I type tho!
All together now......
God at the risk of being boring here(!) 'Shepherds Hey' and 'Cats got the Measles' go together a treat!!!!!! Now theres a cause for people to say what the *** is she on about now!!!! and this is on Pub Talk!

x
Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive" reminds me of the theme from "Steptoe and Son". I suppose when you hear it you're supposed to imagine a spaceship, but I think of a rag and bone cart.

Robert

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew Lloyd Webber's song 'Phantom of the Opera' has parts that sound exactly like Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' from Meddle.

Roger Waters should sue.

Never seen Steptoe and Son, but I have seen Sanford and Son. I hear Steptoe looked like Cptn. Peacock.

-K

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris.............ooooooooooooooooh no have a look on the BBC Archive sites!!!! Capt M was a 'vision' compared to old man Steptoe!
enjoy!
x s

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. I'm really excited that so many people are Kinks fans. I also hadn't heard the Shindig story, but I do have all of their Shindig appearances on tape.
Lifelong member of the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium,
Kelly
William Faulkner

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOVE the Kinks as I said it takes a lot to get me past 'Autumn Almanack' ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Talking of custard pies.....Oh God we'll be into TISWAS next!
Oooooooh joy!
Sx

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,

Do you have the Kinks' Shindig appearance that features the song "Who'll be the Next in Line". If you do, the incident with the union official happened at rehearsal earlier in the day. Also notice the 1959 Gibson Korina Flying V guitar Dave Davies is playing. It sold for over $120,000 at auction last year.

Speaking of Dave, he was released from the hospital on August 27 after suffering a stroke in June. Said be be doing well.

Lisa wrote...

I don't know about any of their records being banned, but know that royalties for The Doors 'Hello I Love You' sold in the UK goes to the Kinks because they successfully sued Morrison & Co saying it plagiarised their tune You Really Got Me.

The plagiarised song is "All Day and All of the Night".

Take care,
Kevin

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waterloo Sunset is the one that always gets to me most.
Kelly
William Faulkner

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi

They really don't write 'em like The Bucket of Water Song any more.

(Thank God)
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooh God TISWAS!!!!!!!!!!!!I recall... so called grown adults gathering every Saturday morning to have a slurp or seven and cry with laughter and secretly want to have the nerve to explain to the 'oldies' Flan Your Folks!!!(Oooooooooh God the temptation!)

I'm sure the Navy never got over Sally James and her Tally Ribbons worn ever higher as garters!

The Bucket of Water Song STILL makes me cry with laughter!All together now........................................

.......................!!!!!!!!!!!
'SATURDAY IS TISWAS..NEV'ER A DAY TO MISS COS.. SATURDAY IS TISWAS DAY!
oOOOOOOOOH god!!!! sad eh!...SAD its not on anymore I say!

Wural Wetweats!???

teeeee heeeeeeeeee

suzi x

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

totally wrong message board, maybe right thread but certainly nice enough users to dare the following off-topic question:

a student came up with a question about the lyrics of a song, and I couldn't help.

Like him I don't know the meaning of the letters "v.u." in "come out of the darkness" by Republica.

The lyrics are:
" You know you're trapped in your world
Lunch hour, fast food, telephone, more abuse
V.U. headache, cigarettes, coffee break
Trapped in your world..."

etc.

I must admit that I've never heard anything about that band before.

Can somebody help me?
All I get from the Internet is "Vanderbilt University" :-)

Thanks a lot in advance

Christian

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

V.U. in my world stands for Visual Unit.

The screeny bit of the computer thingy !

Monty
:-)
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ya Monty

many thanks for the answer!
Getting a headache from staring at a PC screen for too long sounds very familiar to me ;-(

Good luck for you footy team btw.!

Christian

P.S.: Great message for Wood the other day!

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian,

Maybe my head is just in the musical clouds, but the obvious answer to me was Velvet Underground!

-K
Hello Vinny. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the cheque.

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian-
I assumed that it was the VU that stands for the volume unit meter on your stereo. Some high school kids I knew were in a band called VU Left, and it came from that.
Kevin- haven't checked this thread in awhile, but the Kinks vid I have IS the "Who'll Be the Next in Line" one. Thanks for the info.
-Kelly
William Faulkner

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

We were discussing at work the other day what music would be most suitable to play on our telephones for the clients when they have to wait for someone to take their call.

One of the secretaries suggested 'Hanging on the Telephone' by Blondie, and I suggested 'Tired of Waiting' by The Kinks.

Anyone think of any others?

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

!Answer Me' - Barbara Dickson or Frankie Laine

'Hold on John, John hold on it's gonna be all right' (John Lennon - forgotten title)

'You keep me hanging on' - Supremes

'If it takes for ever I will wait for you' - various

'Communication Breakdown' - Led Zeppelin

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two outta three aint bad..Meatloaf!!!!

Hi Cazzikins? hows trix?

xx suzzikins

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'It's so funny how we don't talk any more' - Cliff (Caz's favourite).

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cliff(portrait in the attic!) I guess has to be recognised especially now he's running his own vineyard somewhere!!!! Wonder if the old water into wine trick has finally paid off!?

Hey! Status Quo (remember them!?) now have a double CD out called 'Excess all areas'....Dear santa.........

Cheers

Suzi

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's something been puzzling me now for a while now. i thought where are there some like minded people good a solving puzzles?

Now, I'm sure that some of you havevn't had the pleasure to your ears that is listening to the pop band Busted (yes them)

what does this mean, they had a time machine now taking that for granted a second,
'he said I've been to the year 3000
not much has changed but they live underwater
and your great-great-great-granddaughter
is pretty fine, is pretty fine '

ok problem number one,
they live under water!!!hello a little bit has changed!! how can you ever qualify not much has changed with but they live under water!!!

Jenni

ps thanks in adavnce!
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.