Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hi, I'm new here........ Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Hi, I'm new here........ « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Borley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I'm very glad I've stumbled onto this site....in 1989 I had the pleasure of getting in amongst the archives at the Public Record Office and perusing the MEPO and HO files pertaining to the Whitechapel Murders. I also spent some time at the Colindale Newspaper archive and read the Times, Star and Pall Mall Gazette from 31/8/1888 - 1/12/1888 - I was looking into the relative 'fairness' of contemporary press coverage of the police investigation.

Not surprisingly, JtR was being used at the time as a political stick with which to beat the Metropolitan Police and the Home Secretary - but hey, that's not particularly news!

Clearly one can't immerse oneself in JtR for any length of time without giving into the intrigue and mystery.

From the outset I'll say that still the most compelling work is, for me, Martin Fido's 'Crime, Detection & Death..' book - very little of the headline grabbing stuff that has subsequently been released can hold a candle to the rigour with which this book compiles it's
case. Again - I'm telling you stuff you already know.

It's heartening to find such great detailed discussion of the detail of Messers Begg, Fido and others work on here. For me, the most intriguing aspect is the Cohen/Kosminski confusion and whether that can be unpicked satisfactorily.

A long intro. I haven't had access to the original material for about 15 years so I'm not sure I'll be able to add anything but I'm sure I'll learn plenty.

Regards

Steve Borley
Edinburgh, Scotland

Ken Proctor
Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey steve welcome aboard gizmo

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

Hope you enjoy the boards. Great to get more points of view on the site.

Sarah
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve
It reels (no pun intended) us all in in the end!
welcome on board(!)
Cheers

Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello there Steve,

Welcome to the Boards. Enjoy!

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,
Welcome to you.
Cheers
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,
Fido was my first and is still near and dear to my heart, but I've opened myself up to a lot of new ideas on these boards. Have fun and welcome!
Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Boards. Actually, Martin was posting here last summer. I don't know where he's got to this summer.

Robert

Steve Borley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers mate.

FYI, my Edinburgh address is fairly recent - I'm actually London born and bred. I know the Whitechapel area reasonably well, but I'm more West London.

I'm presently re-reading 'CDD' so I can take part on this message board in an intelligent manner......reacquainting myself with some of the finer details.

Steve

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve-welcome to the boards!
Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.