Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Ship The Saucy Jack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » The Ship The Saucy Jack « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Suttar
Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 3:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While sitting in my Chiropractor's waiting room this morning I picked up a copy of New Scientist from September 27 2003. I was reading a story regarding Hurricanes lashing the US, scientists researching whether there are patterns in history to suggest that the number of Hurricanes hitting the US is either increasing or is on a long term cycle. The story starts with this quote: "In September 1813, a major hurricane destroyed US gunboats and ships that were defending St Mary's, Georgia from the British. Fifty sailor's drowned. In a letter to the US secretary of the navy, the commodore of the naval task force wrote that a privateer named Saucy Jack had been deposited so high on the marshes that the sea must have risen nearly 6 metres above its low water mark." "Reports such as the location of the Saucy Jack high on the marshes allow researchers to estimate the storm surge values."

No link obviously to the famous letter but interesting all the same.

Scotty.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Scotty:

The privateer "Saucy Jack" operated out of Charleston under the command of Jean Pierre Chazal. I wrote about it in an article "'Saucy Jack': Another American Connection?" in Ripperologist No. 35, June 2001. I believe that after the War of 1812 the ship engaged in the slave trade.

In the article, I did mention that the exploits of the Saucy Jack were well reported in British and American newspapers of the day, and it is also mentioned in Benson J. Lossing's Field-Book of the War of 1812, (1868), who before retelling an exploit of the privateer, mentions the "impudence, as well as boldness, of the American privateers" -- traits that could be used to describe Jack the Ripper as well.

It is not outside the realms of possibility that the name could have been an influence in coming up with the name used in the Ripper correspondence.

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by chrisg on August 02, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Baron von Zipper
Sergeant
Username: Baron

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a Saucy Jack that operated out of Australia, Sydney I think, as late as 1860. I was trying to research the crew, but they would have all been in at least their late 40s by the time of the Ripper. Although one of the crew members was named Joto and was 14, I think, and was listed as being 'foreign'.

Cheers
Mike the Mauler

Baron von Zipper
Sergeant

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another Saucy Jack from Dungeness to Sydney. It is an Australian ship, but notice how the crew is all Scots (not that a Shetlander would admit it). What's that? A John Graham on the Saucy Jack in 1890. Any relation to Anne Graham of Maybrick diary fame? Nah, couldn't be.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1890/09/012sau.htm

cheers
Mike the Mauler

Baron von Zipper
Sergeant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the same ship in 1877. It also has a record from 1875, but nothing from The time of the Ripper murders. Perhaps it was plying its trade between the Scottish islands and London or Liverpool from '78-'89. Interesting... Who knows?

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1877/07/100sau.htm
Mike the Mauler

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.