Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Triva quiz Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Triva quiz « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 6:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anyone else having problems accessing the triva quiz or is it just me?
cheers
Jennifer

Maria Giordano
Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I am.

Do I get a point for that?
Mags

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only if I get one. Is it the transition?
Jennifer

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm still having problems accessing the trivia quiz. can anyone help me?
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer!
As a result of the above I tried it and had no probs getting in! I also forgot to keep the A-Z at hand and so made a prat of myself!!!
Give it another go but dont forget....its timed!!!

Cheers

Suzi

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHOA!
OK, I had better give the Trivia a rest for a while. I just realised that I have taken out all top 5 positions on the Leaderboard! Ouch.

Well I'll give you all a chance to catch up.

"Catch me when you can..."

Cheers,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! What a great discovery this is.

It was my first go on it and only at NOVICE level, but I got over 90,000 and am in 5th position. Is that good?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 4:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George,

That is fantastic for your first attempt, well done! When I first started doing the trivias, which isn't all that long ago really, there was nobody even close to 90,000, let alone more than that. So you have done well for a beginner!

By the way, with that Novice level thing, I can't see anywhere that you can change the level on it. It's Novice all the time. Does anyone know how and if you can change this?

Regards,
Adam.
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah!!!

IN YOUR FACE, PHILIP SUGDEN!!!

Well I'm glad that I do seem to know something. Mind you, some of them were little bleeders - how on earth am I supposed to know the aliases of either Carrie Brown (who I know sweet FA about) or the ALIAS of the friend of ES who spoke at the enquiry?! Mind you, that said, I do easily recall the alias of Mary Ann Connolly, so perhaps it's just a gap in my knowledge. I'm going to try it again later. It's fun!

PHILIP

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PHILIP

Old Shakespeare and, well this one confuses me slightly. Id say One armed Liz but she went to ID Liz and didnt speak at the enquiry. She also ID'd her as someone else !

Of course, I could be wrong.

Monty
:-)
"I tell you I didnt do it cos I wasnt there, so dont blame me it just isnt fair....now pass the blame and dont blame me..."- John Pizer

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty - Old Shakespeare is indeed right. The Stride one was Wally something. I've done the quiz twice more. One was a disaster, but I got 80000-something for the other.

It's as they say on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE - they're only easy if you know the answers. Some of the ones that came up as CHALLENGING I got straight away, some RELATIVELY EASY I had no idea.

PHILIP

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

Indeed I was wrong....what a wally !

Monty
"I thought we'd agreed, I thought we'd talked it out, Now when I try to speak, She says that I don't care, She says I'm unaware, And now she says I'm weak ."- Joe Barnett

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty - if you must keep using Madness lyrics as your signature then I think we need a thread of relevant ones.

May I use 'Oarsman grins a toothless smile' as a definition of the recovery of the body of MJD?

Or 'So if you're walking down the street and you're beginning to feel the heat then listen buster you better start to move your feet' as a general piece of advice to many of the victims?

Oh this could run and run...

PHILIP

(Don't you dare make a reference to the track on MADNESS 7 'Mrs Hutchinson' - I had enough hassle as it was at school because of that!)

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

Some in the pipeline are...........

Cardiac arrest or Madness....Charles Warren.

Yesterdays Men......Henry Matthews

Embarressment......Kosminski

Michael Caine.......Abberline

Shut up.......Squibby

Uncle Sam.........Tumbelty

House of Fun......any of the 'punters'

One seconds thoughtlessness......Jack

I could go on !

Monty
"I thought we'd agreed, I thought we'd talked it out, Now when I try to speak, She says that I don't care, She says I'm unaware, And now she says I'm weak ."- Joe Barnett

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 4:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aside, Pop songs for sigs., what an odd idea.

God you newbies are good at the trivia quiz, you're really showing me up!
"So what you think about that now you know how I feel?"

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, newbie on the boards maybe - not a newbie to Jack.

By the way, Jen, it was King Edward VII who was the Ripper, wasn't it? Him and the Freemasons? They did it to scare Queen Victoria into abdicating or something?

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

92671 I just got! Yo!!!

But there have been so many goes on it that my highest score is now only ranked 8th, though I got less and ranked 6th yesterday!

Can YOU name the American female journalist that went walking around the East End following one of the murders?! Never even heard of the event, let alone her name!

PHILIP

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,
was not meant to cause offence. i didn't mean that you were a newbie to the case as i know that is far from the truth in fact you've probably been interested longer than me - i wouldn't be surprised.

no. no i meant to the triva quiz!!!

Jenni

ps no it was james maybrick in league with Walter Sickert, this caused the queen to die prematurly but everyone p[retended she was alive for many more yrs (no TV in them days see?)

"So what you think about that now you know how I feel?"

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely no offence taken in the least degree, Jen - unless you WANT me to! I'd have to be VERY petty to be annoyed by being called a newbie - as far as the boards go, I obviously AM!

Your theory is rubbish.

It was Michael Barrett who did it, assisted by Joseph Gorman. All the prostitutes were killed by 39 watches which were made by Stephen Knight and Shirley Harrison. Lewis Carroll wrote about it (oh God, yes - that's another one I forgot to link me to the case - Lewis Carroll is buried at the end of my street (honestly!), my surname is Hutchinson, I share Sickert's birthday... come on someone! Come up with a theory to implicate ME!)

And we all know that Carroll's 'Cheshire Cat' is Mr Diddles.

PHILIP

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, its good to see people enjoying the trivia quiz!

There are nearly 500 questions in the system, total, so you should be able to get at least 20 games out of it before you start noticing too much repetition.

Some notes on points.... I set it up so that point values gradually increase day-to-day (answer a question today and you might get 5000 points.... answer the same one tomorrow and it would be worth 5010 points, etc.). Sneaky, yes, but this way the high score list will never stagnate, and those who want to stay in the #1 spot will have to keep working for their supper. ;-)

Points depend not only on the difficulty of the question, but also how quickly you answer it. Question difficulty is determined by the percentage of people before you who answered the question correctly (fewer correct answers = more points).

If you note misspellings or errors in the questions PLEASE email them to me - I'll fix them straight away.

Enjoy!
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve, Mr Boss Man!

There are nearly 500 questions in the system, total, so you should be able to get at least 20 games out of it before you start noticing too much repetition. : Not had a single repeat one yet.

I set it up so that point values gradually increase day-to-day : I see your reasoning but it is flawed - you should keep it the same; people who do it often are going to get questions repeated, aren't they, so it will be EASIER for them and thus in conflict with the points for the same question actually rising!

Points depend not only on the difficulty of the question, but also how quickly you answer it : I had got that, and that's why I do it with the lights on so I can ensure I hit the right keys. Not fair when you have to key in THE WHITECHAPEL VIGILANCE COMMITTEE though! Happened to me last night.

Question difficulty is determined by the percentage of people before you who answered the question correctly : Now THAT is clever!

If you note misspellings or errors in the questions PLEASE email them to me - I'll fix them straight away : I haven't noticed anything yet, except I always thought that PN was with 2 'L's and not 1! I just hope you haven't got any questions down there where people have multiple spellings for the names. A certain carpenter who lived at 27 Hanbury Street springs to mind...

PHILIP

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boy, I'm just no good at this kind of trivia! I find myself saying "Oooooh, what was his name again???" all the time. :-(

Andy S.

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

Can YOU name the American female journalist that went walking around the East End following one of the murders?!

Yup! She was.. erm... lemme think now...! Name is on the tip of my tongue!

Yep, Andy, I totally empathise!

Bestest,

Lyn

(At least I've heard of her! Even read her account!)
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Wicker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just played the trivia game three times and came across three mistakes that slowed me down:

The author of 'JtR: A Psychic Investigation' is Pamela Ball not Pamella Ball.

It's Roslyn Donston not Rosyln Donston.

And Leonard Matters did not write the first full-length book about the Ripper...perhaps you should specify "in the English language".

Sorry about your high score, Adam. I must admit, though, it is fun and challenging; especially trying to remember the wording and spelling of the Ripper letters!

W

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Wicker:

"Sorry about your high score, Adam. I must admit, though, it is fun and challenging; especially trying to remember the wording and spelling of the Ripper letters!"

My 5 top high scores have been robbed from me! Robbed, I tell you!

The best I have now is a lousy #6!
Oh well. There is only one thing to do about that, and that is to keep doing the trivia till I climb back up the list. I've already done it several times today, and I don't think I made it even onto the leaderboard again!

Seems that you either get a heap of "Very Easy" or a heap of "Extremely Difficult" questions. Oh well, I can still boast about 1 thing: I was the first person to score over 100,000 points on the trivia!

Stupid, pointless rant completed.

Cheers,
Adam.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam, nice to know that you get 'Allo 'Allo in Oz.

Robert

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Yes, we are fortunate enough to have 'Allo 'Allo here, but it's only on Austar (Sattelite/Cable TV), not ordinary TV.

I must say that Officer Crabtree with his ever funny "Good Moaning" and everything else is my favourite character in the show, but I found Michelle's often repeated line to be the most fitting for a message board. ; - )

While we're on the subject, who is your favourite character in the show?

Cheers,
Adam.

P.S. Still no luck with the trivia. Bah!

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Lyn, I have to sympathize with Andy Spallek here.

I have tried the quiz and I don't even show on the list...!!!!

As always in everything, I am lousy in remembering details when there is a time factor to consider. I belong to those who have a good over-all and superficial view, but when it comes to details, names and numbers, I have to look it up in books, because my memory is just not working properly...Rats...

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

Well, I like just about all of them, but I guess my favourite is Herr Flick.

The good moaning guy is very funny too. With his pronunciation, you get things like "I was just pissing by the door when I heard a sh*t" (I was just passing by the door when I heard a shot) and "The Germans are bumming overhead" (The Germans are bombing overhead).

Fantastic show, and it was almost the last of a long line of shows that were written and produced by various combinations of Jimmy Perry/Jeremy Lloyd/David Croft - Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi De Hi...

I think if you look closely at Rene, you'll see that he has a scar on his forehead in some of the later episodes. This is because Gordon Kaye suffered a very serious accident when some scaffolding became detached during a gale and it actually penetrated his head, I beleve. Also I think the actress playing Rene's wife - Carmen Mendonza? - sadly died a year or so ago.

Still, a great show that will be watched for years to come.

Robert

(Message edited by Robert on January 24, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert.

I think you are thinking of Daniel Mendoza, the EastEnd boxer, later immortalised (not as a boxer) as the leader of the gang that try to catch the Ripper in the JACK THE RIPPER musical by Pember (I played him! Want me to post a photo from it?).

It was CARMEN SILVERA who died a couple of years ago. I think you'll find it was a wooden pole that snapped off in a gale or something that impaled Gorden Kaye.

A friend of mine was in an episode and I got a seat in the studio - you can clearly hear my laugh a few times (it's quite distinctive). I was up in the Green Room at the BBC afterwards standing right next to Gorden Kaye who completely ignored me! I have to say, though, that Carol Ashby (who played the blonde leader of the Communist Resistance - the ones who keep kidnapping Rene) was absolutely LOVELY. I was at drama college at the time and her dad had come along to see her and she spent the whole time talking to me about the profession!

My friend Lynda who was in it got on really well with Arthur Bostrom (the English policeman).

I don't think it was a classic; in fact at times it could be a bit embarrassing in the Terry & June or Last Of The Summer Wine way, but it did have its moments.

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

What are you doing here??

You're supposed to be on the non-humourous thread creating a cat-icature of me!

I thinkI still outrank you.. (not by much, granted, and maybe not at all.. But I am commissioning you once again for a drawing of me.

Love ya!

Lyn

(Will catch you in the chat room)
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3971
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 4:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, of course, Carmen Silvera. She had a small part in a Dad's Army episode (Mainwaring fell in love with her). They remembered her and put her in a later creation. They were always doing things like that.

Yes, post the photo.

Robert

I mean, it is I, Leclerc

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here we are then, Robert. I've arrowed me! There are some better ones but I thought this would show the crappy set off well!

PHILIP

pember

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, ah yes. But those outfits you're all wearing look extremely clean! I think there are some Persil shirts in there.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell me about it. The directors were off their heads. It wasn't the most fun production I've done - rehearsals were great, but the performances were miserable! Bear in mind the musical is a complete mess and has nothing to do with the facts in any way - though every time I pass Aldgate East tube on my tours I sing to myself one of my verses in one of the songs "Meet Freddy Priest, she's the beauty he's the beast, What a face he's lumbered with - uglier than Aldgate East"...

PHILIP

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 6:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

Robert,

Yes, Arthur Bostrom was hilarious in the show. Always using lines like "I have bad nose" or "I have good nose", etc.
Herr Flick was good too, the way he always came up with these plans, along with Von Smallhousen, which crumbled to pieces. I saw an episode recently which cracked me up, where Von Smallhousen tried to gain access to a castle with Herr Flick, posing as "Field Marshal Von Crackenfart." HAHAHA!!!! Meanwhile, Rene and the others were dressed as undertakers, trying to take away the British airmen in coffins....a classic, hilarious situation.

I thought Gorden Kaye got injured in a car accident, but I'm not sure on that. It may have been scaffolding.

Yes, it was Carmen Silvera who died recently. Infact, several of the stars of the show have died within the last few years.
Rose Hill (the old woman, Edith's mother), died recently, as did Richard Marner (Colonel Von Strohm), and back in 1999 Hilary Minster died as well (General Von Klinkerhoffen.) Kenneth Connor (Monsieur Alfonse, the undertaker) died in late 1993, only a year after the show ended. But, the others are still alive - Rene, Michelle, Yvette, Lieutenant Gruber, Captain Bertorelli, Herr Flick, Von Smallhousen, etc.

Philip,

Very interested to hear about your experience on the set of Allo' Allo'. I'm surprised that Gorden Kaye ignored you, he seems like a nice enough guy usually. Maybe he was just having a bad, long day! Well, it's still an experience to remember though.

Allo' Allo' wasn't the greatest comedy ever, no, but as you say, it had its moments.
Infact, while we're on the topic, my favourite comedian, and the man who I think was the greatest comedian of all time - is Benny Hill. The Benny Hill Show ran for a total of 34 years, though not on the same channel all the way through. His skits and jokes in general have had me rolling round the floor several times. Infact, I heard once that the news reader who broadcast his obituary when Benny died in 1992, couldn't stop laughing after they had played 1 of his skits, and they had to take the camera off him for a minute! Even though it was a sad time, he could still bring laughter to people. A great man!

Anyway, I'm still on the hunt for a top position on the trivia leaderboard. It's always just out of reach!

Cheers,
Adam.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

i think Gordon Kaye may have been driving his car when scaffolding came crashing through.

I agree that Benny Hill was a great comedian. One of my favourite characters of his was the Chinese man - "you sirry iriot". Also Fred Scuttle. It was particularly sad when he died, because I believe that Frankie Howerd, another great comic, died either the day before or the day after Benny. in fact, Max Bygraves joked that a taxi driver had complained to him that he'd let him down. When Bygraves asked why the driver said, "I had you down for a treble."

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.