Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sports Thread For Monty Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Sports Thread For Monty « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

You could well be right, I'm not sure which show came first. Since I share Mark's opinion on this point, I don't really pay much attention to such things.

David,

Take heart. As Don said, acknowledging the problem is the first step to recovery. Use of very small fonts is the second...well done!

Jim

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

You gotta check this out:

http://www.keepmanny.com/

The campaign might be more successful if the person involved actually wanted to be kept. :-)

I think I'm going to start a website or two along similar themes. Maybe:

www.ihopeyourankleisbetterCurt.com, or

www.givethetruckbackKeithFoulke.com

Enjoy!
Jim

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

Quite a website and I can feel the petitioners' concern. Of course, they neither pay Manny nor play with Manny -- they just want to see him play in a Sox uni. Maybe management could placate him by building him a private lounge (and lavatory) down the left field line where he could relax bwtween innings. He wouldn't need to mingle with teammates and wouldn't need to sneak into the scoreboard.

I heard a report today that they are still trying to smooth things over with with Theo and he could return. You heard anything?

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Don,

The guys who put up that site don't seem to get that it was not the Red Sox who instigated the 'trade Manny' idea. It was Manny who decided he was unhappy in Boston, demanded to be traded, and threatened not to report to spring training if he wasn't. Manny is forcing this situation, and the Sox will accomodate him if they can get decent prospects in return, else they won't. Either way, it won't have anything to do with how many signatures are collected on a petition. I just felt it was ironic that there's a petition drive to keep a guy around who does not want to be kept around, and thought you might enjoy the irony also.

Re Theo, yeah, there are persisent rumors to the effect that he will return despite repeated denials by the Red Sox. Theo was supposed to stick around for "a few days" after his resignation to help with the transition. However, there have been reports that he has been seen recently coming and going from the offices on Yawkey Way, some 5-6 weeks later. The Sox certainly aren't in any hurry to fill his position, either. They've had Jim Beattie in for three interviews, and haven't extended an offer. They certainly could have hired Beattie if they wanted to, and the winter meetings are next week and still no GM. So, there are rumblings, there are signs that there could be something to those reports.

*SIGH* Only in Boston. I often wonder which is the biggest soap opera, the Saga of George and the Tampa Cabal, or the Yawkey Way Follies.

Jim

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Monty (and Jenni)

I take it you didn't really want to get any further than the third round anyway?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

shut up!!!!!

Jenni

ps what are you like!?
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Al,

Yeah, could have been worst for you. Could have drawn GRIMSBY !

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just feel like I should mention rugby, do you ever get that Monty?
"So if I can shoot rabbits then ..."

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4526940.stm

interesting

five word rule
"Does your granny always tell ya that the old songs are the best? Then she's up and rock 'n' rollin' with the rest?"

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with 'Bloody Great Goals' videos:

The "look at that footwork.. go on, go on.. keep going... get past him... knock him down... get it in the net!!!!" -- is a bit of an anti-climax.

Maybe I should start watching Springer.

Merry Christmas,

Lyn x

(Message edited by lindsey on December 20, 2005)
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

Well, well . . . look who's a Yankee now? I know that early last year I wrote that Johnny Damon could be on my team anyday, and now I'm there. Well, I know he seemed to wear out the end of last season and looked to have a sore arm, but that they talked him down to four years is reasonable.

Anyway, after several months of hearing "Who is going to be in centerfield for the Yankees opening day 2006?" let me be one of the first to ask: who is going to be in center opening day for the Red Sox?

Always a surprise with baseball.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don,

Yep, looks like the Sox front office was asleep at the switch on this one...again!

>Anyway, after several months of hearing "Who is going to be in centerfield for the Yankees opening day 2006?" let me be one of the first to ask: who is going to be in center opening day for the Red Sox?

Geez, I dunno Don, if you hear anything could you call the Red Sox front office and give them a heads-up?? Thanks.

In fact, comparing the Yanks and Sox starting lineups for 2006 is an interesting exercise:

CF: NY - Damon BOS - Don't know.
SS: NY - Jeter BOS - Don't know.
3B: NY - A-Rod BOS - Don't know - Youkalis, Lowell?
LF: NY - Matsui BOS - Manny if he isn't traded, if he is then don't know.

1B: NY - Giambi BOS - Youkalis against lefties, but they have no left-handed platoon (Ortiz can't field), so against righties - don't know.

2B: NY - Cano BOS - Don't know. They have about 6 second basemen on the roster now - Loretta, Graffinino, Cora, Pedroia - could be anyone. Sure hope one of them can play shortstop.

RF: NY - Sheffield BOS - Nixon, unless he's moved to center, in which case - don't know.

Yep, pretty impressive. After all the wheeling and dealing the Sox did at the winter meetings, they have far more holes than they started with. Plus, despite having no shortstop on the major-league roster, the Sox are committed to $11M/3 years for that position. That's the portion of Renteria's contract they had to eat to get Atlanta to take him.

This 'gang of four' approach is working so well. Who needs Theo anyway?

At this point, I pick the Sox to finish 3rd in the division, behind the Yankees and a much-improved Toronto team.

It's going to be a loooooong season :-(

Jim

PS - go Pats! :-)

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

Geez, I dunno Don, if you hear anything could you call the Red Sox front office and give them a heads-up??

Bubba Crosby might be available.

By the way, I heard Francona interviewed yesterday on New York radio and he did say that Lowell would be the everyday third baseman, at least as of now.

Don.

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I WAS a Celtic fan until you pointed me to the Keane article. All I'm left with now is Munster RFC. Thanks a heap.

Cheers
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Don,

Hope you had a good holiday.

>Bubba Crosby might be available.

LOL, hey, he might be the Sox best option at this point. I doubt Cleveland will move Coco Crisp now that Nomar has signed with the Dodgers, and any deal with Seattle for Jeremy Reed that involves giving up a starting pitcher is a non-starter IMO. But, stranger things have happened with this front office, so who knows? :-)

>By the way, I heard Francona interviewed yesterday on New York radio and he did say that Lowell would be the everyday third baseman, at least as of now.

Well, I think he pretty much *had* to say that. It's a bit of a tough sell, telling your fans you took on a $9M/yr contract to get a *reserve* player. :-)

I think they have to start Lowell for the first 50 games or so, to see what he can do. If he can regain his 2000-2004 form, (.290-25HR-95RBI over those five seasons), fine, they are set at third base. OTOH, if he's the same guy who hit .234 last year, they'll probably have to make a move to acquire a starting third baseman. So, if he flops, they would have time before the trading deadline to get something done.

94 days to go before Opening Day.

Jim

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

Well, one nice thing about baseball is that games are determined in the field and not by pre-season rosters.

Something I'm curious about, how do the Sox stand in terms of the silly international series in the middle of spring training? Have any of your stars committed to play? The Yankees are not happy with it and Matsui has announced he won't play. Jeter is supposed to play, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the "flu" just before it starts.

Don.

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim--

Just FYI, I Don't Know's on third. Who's on first.

Sorry- couldn't resist.

Mags
Mags

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear that Mr. RJ Palmer is an Oakland Raiders fan, along with Mr. Nelson. I'd like to wish them both a Happy New Year, because I fear they are likely NOT to have a very happy New Year's Eve.

(signed)
A blue-blooded New York Giants straight man
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

The only one I've heard discussed is Manny. He is reportedly "very excited" about playing in the series, but I can't help but wonder if the Sox are putting some serious spin on that story. After all, it would provide a nice cover story in the event they don't trade him and he makes good on his threat not to show up for spring training. They could then attribute his absence to his burning desire to play in the silly international series. Not that I'm getting cynical, or anything like that. :-)

Mags - no sweat, I was barely able to resist myself. As I was composing that post thinking about all the "I don't knows" in the Sox' lineup, that Abbott and Costello routine popped right into my head, too. From World Champions to a stand-up comedy routine in 14 months, that has to be some kind of a record. :-)

Cheers,
Jim

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

This may be the only sane spot on the boards right now. Were the Boston papers as full of the four-team (Sox, Mets, O's and Rays) blockbuster trade rumors as their New York brethren? Naturally, Mets fans were in anticipatory ecstasy for days. Now that the Mets sent one of their prime pitching bargaining chips to LA for something less than Manny and Baez it would seem the four-way trade it dead, anyway.

Don.

Jim DiPalma
Inspector

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Don,

>This may be the only sane spot on the boards right now.

Oh, so it's pretty much business as usual, then :-)

Yeah, the Boston papers have been all over that one. The particular version of the deal that I would *love* to happen is Manny and Clement to Baltimore for Tejada and Joey Gaithright(sp?) from the Devil Rays. That would essentially solve nearly all the Sox' problems at once. Fills the holes at shortstop and center field, gets a major PITA with his $20M salary out of town, and Tejada is a great hitter, one of the few that could replace Manny's production in the lineup. The only thing left to do is obtain a left-handed platoon at first base (JT Snow, where are you?).

But as you say, the deal appears dead. Now that the Mets have sent Jae Seo to LA, they don't have a starting pitcher that fits into Tampa Bay's salary structure that would allow them to get Baez. And lack of a reliable closer was a big problem for the Mets last season, how many blown saves did Brandon Looper have?

Another reason the deal appears dead: Manny is now saying that as a 10/5 man he'll block any trade unless his new team picks up his options for 2009 and 2010, at $20M per. That adds ~$40M to the already high price tag. The Orioles will undoubtedly ask the Sox to pick up a portion of that, which principal John Henry has already stated they won't do. So, in addition to not agreeing on the players involved, there are money issues that will likely kill the deal.

Manny is really a piece of work, though. He's now made seperate threats that cover all contingencies. If they don't trade him, he'll sit out. If they do trade him, he'll block the trade unless paid an additional $40M.

It's like an ongoing soap-opera. Tune in again tomorrow folks for another edition of "Days of Our Manny."

Jim

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3515
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!

what a team!!!!!!!!!!

Alan, where are you?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I am guessing you are talking about Leicester City and not Jim's Red Sox (nah, you're smarter than to root for the "Sawx"). I watched the game (and the Giants game until that got unwatchable -- which was pretty quick) and your enthusiasm is justified. Nice, come from behind, 3-2 win over Spurs with the winner coming right on 90 minutes.

Don.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 8:23 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So Monty (and Jenni)

I take it you didn't really want to get any further than the third round anyway?

Posted by Alan Sharp.

Posted by Monty on Monday January 06.

2-0 and you f***ed it up !

Lesson learned??

Monty

It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3516
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we played really well

lol

hehe
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3517
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we played really well

lol

hehe

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.