Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Tunguska Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Other Mysteries » Tunguska « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What really happened here
http://www-th.bo.infn.it/tunguska/

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/3240/

(Message edited by belinda on August 10, 2005)

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you think Belinda, a mid-air collision between two UFOs, a natural nuclear explosion, a mini black hole or Nikola Tesla doing another one of his crazy experiments?

Goodies,

Stan

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda,

I personally like the idea of Tesla doing an experiment, writing up his findings, and the Federal government impounding the results with his other papers in 1943. However, the old idea of a meteorite or of some mini black hole will do in a pinch.

The only book on Tungusta I read was by Rupert Furneaux.

Do you realize that if, whatever it was, it had gone a few thousand miles west - Europe would have been flattened! It probably would have prevented World War I, because there would have been few European states left to fight it.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

An Italian expedition found in 1991 microspherules from the explosion in treetrunks. The chemical composition seems to corroborate the meteorite theory.

http://www-th.bo.infn.it/tunguska/impact/index.html

Thus we most likely have an airbursting bolide on our hands.

And, true, the devastation was extreme, about 2150 square kilometres were affected! Now this is a far cry from a "Europe kiler". UK alone has about a total of 244100 square kilometres, and we see the explosion would only affect less than 1\100th of that. Still, hitting say, London... Well, you all get the point.

The explosion was perhaps as powerful as a 20 megaton hydrogen bomb.

But it gets even worse... seems like stuff like this is hitting us all the time, albeit usually on a smaller scale. In 1994 the US Department of Defense made of public domain its records on energetic bolides over a time span of about twenty years. These data indicate that, from 1975 to 1992, there were 136 airbursts of energy greater than 1 kton (Hiroshima bomb was a little over 20 kton), but the real number was probably at least 10 times higher, because the satellite system does not cover the entire Earth surface.

So, all this time we have been playing russian roulette, and we don't even know it!

:-)

Helge
"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

This object was estimated to be between 100 and 160 feet in diameter. The scientists can't seem to agree if that makes it a small asteriod or not.

Stan

Eddie Derrico
Sergeant
Username: Eddie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to find the website about the animals living in that area before the explosion. Russian scientists said that all the animals left the region 2 months before this happened.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

There's an 83 minute documentary about this event that came out this year entitled The Tunguska Project. Has anyone seen it?

Stan

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not seen it yet. I'd like to, though. I studied up on Tunguska for my last novel. I'd like to see what current wisdom has changed since my research materials came out.

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.