Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Voynitch Manuscript Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Other Mysteries » The Voynitch Manuscript « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a fascinating one.

http://www.voynich.nu/

Is it a repository of esoteric medieval knowledge, penned by Roger Bacon and later owned by John Dee, or is it an "impudent hoax"?

(Definitely puts the Maybrick diary in the shade!)

Chris

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is really cool. I bet it tells about how the Holy Grail was really Mary Magdalene..and no wait, that was another book.

Anyway that is really neat. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Maybe I'll crack it.

Jeff Leahy
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

The Voynich is indeed as much an enigma as the Maybrick diary. And another document I'd like to get tested and dated along with the Vineland map as part of a series on hoax documents.

As far as I'm aware most of the testing on the Voynich has been done contexturally rather than chemical analisis. The Voynich should have very differant problems/advantages to that of the Maybrick. It would be interesting to see what a paper analisis would make of the document which is out of the question with the Maybrick and Vineland.

Some nice stories also follow the document. Some say it contains the secret of Alcheme, due to the Bacon conection, others that it was writen in code by a young Leonardo Da Vinci. It has been writen in a language that no modern computer has currently been able to crack, although some experts claim it has patterns suggesting a real language.

The Voynich has a better provinance than the Maybrich Diary although if it is the original document knowone can be entirely sure.

One story I have paid alot of attension to is the possibility that it is very Much like the Maybrick diary. An alaborate Hoax created to raise money for the Italian anarchist movement at the turn of the century. Infact it just contains gobildy gook which is why know computer can't crack it. It was a lot of trouble for someone to go to however.

Do you think they'd give us a job lot on testing? I thick we'd learn more by dating the Voynich than the Maybrick to be honest.

Whats actually really interesting about these documents is the question of how many other historical documents are actually hoax or fake...probably thousands.....which should make your approach to writen history very cautious.

The Casement diaries, currently claimed to be real by the BBC and authenticated by a name you should know 'Baxendale', are also worth a look at.......could they actually be another Hoax?...surely not....who would do such a thing. Surely not the British government..well check out the Zinoviev letter and think again.

The fact is that the Maybrick diary is the tip of an iceburg and the problems it contains and you have demonstrated may have far reaching effects on how we should veiw authenticated documents with or without provinance. Historians have always had political motives.

Interested in anybodies veiws.

Jeff

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only found out about this recently.It's too fascinatingI'd love to know what it is the drawings are particularly interesting

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Bacon probably had nothing to do with it. Peep out wikipedia's entry on it here.

If the pretty pictures are your cup of tea, perhaps you should check out the "Codex Seraphinianus". It's a modern creation that lives in the same style as the Voynich manuscript.

Oh and it's Voynich not Voynitch :-)

Legion
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 999
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legion

Yes, I do realise the attribution to Bacon is very doubtful. That's why I phrased my question as I did.

I think you'll find a lot more detail in the website I mentioned than in "Wikipedia" (that website heads the list of "Wikipedia" links).

And I did realise I had inserted an extraneous "t" in "Voynich" a few seconds after I initiated the thread. Unfortunately, it was already too late to do anything about it.

Chris Phillips

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.